The Android* x86 Emulator Image Add-on requires the Android SDK to be installed. Please refer to the Android developer website (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html) for Android SDK installation instructions. The Android SDK Manager allows you to download and install the Intel® Atom™ Android x86 Emulator Image Add-on. Follow the steps bellow:
NoteIt is highly recommended to download the Intel Atom Android x86 Emulator Image via the Android SDK Manger instead of a direct download in order to receive future updates.
- From the Android* 2.3.7 (Gingerbread) x86 Emulator Image Add-on website (/en-us/articles/android-237-gingerbread-x86-emulator-image-add-on) download the "addon_Intel_sysimg_2.3.7_api-10.zip" file to your computer.
- Uncompress the contents of the archive file to the <sdk>/add-ons/ folder of your Android SDK installation location, as shown below:
- Once the file is uncompressed in the <sdk>/add-ons/ folder, the folder should look like the following:
- Start the Android SDK Manager program.
- Verify that the Intel Atom x86 System Image by Intel Corporation is shown as "Installed" under the Status column as shown below:
- Under the "Tools" Menu select "Manage AVDs...", as shown below:
- The Android Virtual Device Manager window should appear. Select the "New" button.
- Enter a name for your virtual device in the Name field. Note, spaces are not allowed in the name.
- Select "Intel Atomx86 System Image (Intel Corporation) – API Level 10" from the drop down list of the Target field as shown below:
- Once you select your configuration settings, click on the the "Create AVD" button.
- The new virtual device should appear on the Android Virtual Device Manager. Select the new device and click on the "Start ..." button, as shown below:
- The Launch Options screen should appear. Select the screen size and dpi for your system, otherwise the emulator might exceed the dimensions of your viewing screen. Click on the "Launch" button, as shown below:
- After a few moments, the emulator should launch and you should see the screen below:
- For further instructions on how to use the Android Emulator, visit: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/devices/emulator.html