Updated as of July 14, 2011Description
Instructions on how to enable beta testing of applications from within the Intel AppUp® center.Introduction
Prior to submitting an application to Intel for validation, developers are encouraged to beta test their application with the Intel AppUp center. Performing the beta testing step can help developers uncover issues that would only be found in a production environment and greatly improve the chances for the application to be accepted on the first validation review.
The following procedure details how to enable application beta testing and beta test accounts in the Intel AppUp® client:Steps
Complete the following steps to enable beta testing of your application:
- Initiate the normal process for submitting an application to Intel.
- On the Submit Application/Upload Screen, fill out all the required sections and click on the "Beta Test" dropdown box. You should see the following message: “Beta test your application before submitting it for publishing in the store. Simply upload your application's installer file and check back on this page after 30 minutes to invite beta testers for your application."
- After 30 minutes, refresh the Upload screen. If the message has not changed, try moving to the "Submit" screen by clicking on the "Next" button. Click on the "Edit" button next to the Upload section. The following message should appear: "Beta test your application before submitting it for publishing in the store. Simply add up to 50 comma-separated email addresses of your friends below and if they are existing users of the store they will get free access to your application. While your application is under beta testing, product icon and images are not visible to testers on the store. Once your application is published, images will appear on the store."
- Enter up to 50 comma separated email addresses for your beta testers and click the "Invite" button. An "Invitation to testers" message window will appear, allowing you to enter a quick note to your testers. When finished, click on the "Send" button
- If your beta testers have existing accounts on the Intel AppUp center, they should now have access to your beta application.
- If your beta testers do not have an existing account, their email addresses will be listed in the "Beta Test" dropdown box along with an option to "Invite to Register". Clicking the "Invite to Register" button will display a message box enabling you to add a quick note and send the beta testing request to your users. Note: If your beta users do not wish to setup a formal account (i.e., enter actual payment information), please include the steps below in your account setup request.
Beta Testers (within the US or Canada):
Users within the US or Canada can participate in beta testing of applications with either a fully registered account or a beta-only test account.
When using a fully registered account simply follow the registration process in its entirety (including payment setup) and let the developer know what email address/username you registered. This will allow you to download/purchase production applications in addition to participating in beta testing.
If you would like to simply create a beta-only test account, please follow the instructions for users outside the US and Canada below.
Beta Testers (outside the US or Canada):
Complete the following steps to enable beta test accounts on the Intel AppUp Center:
- Go to www.intelappup.com to download and install the Intel AppUp® Client Beta
- Launch the Intel AppUp Client Beta, click on "Sign-in" and complete the required elements of the registration process. Important: You must use the email address from the account you received the beta test invitation.
- When prompted for location, register as a US resident.
- When the payment information screen appears, click "Cancel"
- Now login to Intel AppUp Client Beta using the email address/username you just registered.
- The beta applications should appear under "Pending Downloads" on the My Apps tab. Important: Beta-only test accounts will not be able to purchase or download free applications from the Intel AppUp center.
While your application is under beta testing, the product icon, application metadata and images are not visible to testers on the Intel AppUp center. Once your application is published, images will appear on the Intel AppUp center.
Once you complete beta testing, submit your application for validation. If it fails validation, you should upload a new version of your application to beta test it again.
For comments, questions, known issues, work-arounds & community support visit our Beta Test Forum.
If you submitted an app for validation and it has been rejected, you will need to edit your beta testing request during app submission. Once you fix your app and upload the fixed binary, please remove the account and then add yourself again.