Intel Location Services allow developers to integrate location-based capabilities across different platforms, even those with or without GPS, to create new functionalities and usage scenarios for location-aware apps. The functions are a set of RESTful services that can be used cross-platform , cross-device and cross-OS and hence are also available to non-AppUp® apps and devices. This allows developers to leverage a set of services across platforms and devices, without compromising or favoring features for any one platform.
Currently, the service is composed of these mapping service features:
- Geocoding: Convert a latitude and longitude position into an address
- Reverse Geocoding: Convert an address into latitude and longitude coordinates
- Mapping: Rendering a map based on Geolocations
- Directions: Turn by turn directions between addresses
- Points of Interest (POI): Searching various points of interest associated with a Geolocation.
- Geo Fencing: The ability to define a virtual boundary that can be used to trigger some action such as generating a message alert, email, security lockdown of a device or any number of events.
- Geo Message:The ability to push location based messaging function that allows end users to associate a POI and a message for identified recipients/friends. The feature will return a list of marked POI's or user defined areas and messages when called.