The VTune™ Amplifier XE performance profiler can be used to collect data on one system and view it on another, without requiring additional licenses. Licenses are only required to view data. Additionally, if the remote systems does not support a graphical environment, such as X on Linux*, you can use the command-line collectors to collect the data and view it graphically on your graphically-capable host system.
Your host system needs to have the same release or higher as the remote system. For example, if you install Update 2 on the remote system, you need Update 2 or higher on the host system in order to view the results collected on the remote system.
Below are excepts from the VTune™ Amplifier XE 2013 Release Notes that document how to install just the command line collection capability on a remote system.
Installing Collectors on Remote Systems
You can install the command line data collection features of the product on remote systems to reduce overhead and simply collect data remotely. Data collection on a remote system does not require a license; however, viewing of the data cannot be done on the remote system unless a license is present.
The results of any data collection that is run on the remote system must then be copied to the system where the regular install was done for analysis, viewing, and reporting.
To do this:
For Windows* systems:
- Unpack the product install file manually using the command:
C:\> VTune_Amplifier_XE_2013_<update#>_setup.exe --extract-only --silent --extract-folder C:\temp\VTune_Amplifier_XE_2013_unpacked
Note: replace "<update#>" with the string based on the update you are installing, e.g., "update13", and use any convenient path for the
--extract-folderoption. If the
--extract-folderoption is omitted, the default location for the extracted image is: "
C:\Program Files (x86)
\Intel\Download\VTune_Amplifier_XE_2013_setup" for 64-bit Windows* and "
\Intel\Download\ VTune_Amplifier_XE_2013_setup" for 32-bit Windows*.
- Copy the folder containing the installation files for the collectors and command line tools to the remote machine. With the example shown above, the location of this folder is
- Run the Amplifier_XE.msi with Administrative privileges and follow the instructions. No license activation will be required.
- On a 64-bit remote machine, from the VTune Amplifier XE installation location, run and install msvcrt_x86.msi and msvcrt_x64.msi (requires Administrative privileges).
- On a 32-bit remote machine, from the VTune Amplifier XE installation location, run and install msvcrt_x86.msi (requires Administrative privileges).
For Linux* systems:
- After extracting the product tar file, copy the
CLI_installfolder (found at the top level of the extracted files) to the remote system.
./install.shscript file (this file is located inside the
CLI_installfolder). No license activation will be required.