|What If Home | Product Overview | Intel® TM ABI specification | Technical Requirements
FAQ | Primary Technology Contacts | Discussion Forum | Blog
Smoke is a tech demo that showcases a framework to support n-way threading of game technologies. By properly threading a game it can have more accurate physics, smarter AI, more particles, and/or a faster frame-rate. Smoke demonstrates one way to achieve better games.
All of the source code for Smoke is available for download.
The demo includes:
|What's new with Release 1.2
Installation: You can download the installer for the demo.
You can download all the source code here. There are build instructions included in the source code zip file under smoke\docs
- CPU: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor or better (Intel® Core™> i7 recommend)
- GFX: NVIDIA 8800 GTS or better (Smoke was developed using 8800 GTS cards)
- OS: 32-bit Windows XP or Vista
- MEM: 2 GB of RAM of better
- Optional: Stereo speakers, Xbox 360 controller for Windows
- Software: Latest version of DirectX and .NET
You can also watch the other video done to Take an in-depth look at Intel’s Smoke Demo
Q: Where can I get the source?
A: All the source is available.
Q: How do I build the source code?
A: There are build instructions included in the source code zip file under Smoke\docs.
Q: How do I see the advantages of threading?
A: While the demo is running you can toggle the number of active threads.
- Press Ctrl+1 for 1 thread
- Press Ctrl+2 for 2 threads
- Press Ctrl+4 for 4 threads
- Press Ctrl+x for maximum threads (depends on the CPU)
Q: What is the license?
A: You can read the license here. The goal is to allow developers to use the Smoke code written by Intel for any purpose (including derivative works) with no limitations or obligations.
Orion Granatir is a senior engineer in the Visual Computing Software Division. He is the Tech Lead on the Smoke project. Prior to joining Intel in 2007, Orion worked on several PlayStation 3 titles as a senior programmer with Insomniac Games. His most recent published titles are Resistance: Fall of Man and Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.