The Intel® High Performance Financial Software Community provides technical information, tools, conversation, and support from industry experts. Learn how to achieve your performance goals using Intel's experience, resources and technology and maximize your investment in Information Technology Infrastructure. Learn more about the community from Sunil Kulkarni, Intel’s Sr. Software Engineering Manager for Worldwide Financial Services Engineering.
11 Keys to Mastering Multicore App Development
Boost Your Skills with Intel's new Guide for Developing Multithreaded Applications
If you're coding for multicore, you shoot for maximum performance but hit barriers along the way. Arm yourself with the latest development and optimization tips from the experts.
Part 1 of this technical guide focuses on application threading and synchronization techniques. A compilation of 11 top articles, it features examples and how to's on measuring performance, removing artificial dependencies, using tasks instead of threads, mitigating synchronization impacts, and more. Here's just a sampling of the articles inside:
- Loop Modifications to Enhance Data-Parallel Performance—Tackle loop challenges with techniques that minimize synchronization and make parallelization easier—such as loop fusion, loop interchange, and loop unrolling.
- Load Balance and Parallel Performance—Avoid common memory and I/O pitfalls to achieve the perfect load balance by sharing workloads equally across all threads.
- Managing Lock Contention: Large and Small Critical Sections - Efficient parallel code balances thread performance in critical sections and manages idle time of other threads. Learn the concept of critical section size and see when it is best to use large or small critical sections.
Watch for Part 2 of this Guide next week for ten additional articles on varied memory management approaches for multicore and the latest programming tools to streamline parallel programming.
Intel® Tools Special Promotion
The Developer Products Division at Intel is pleased to provide a 10% discount on Intel® Tools for financial customers. This includes:
- Intel® C++ and Fortran Compilers
- Intel® Performance Libraries
- Intel® Threading Analysis Tools
- Intel® VTune™ Performance Analyzer
- Intel® Cluster Tools
For questions or tools purchases, please contact email@example.com
Watch episode 94 of Parallel Programming Talk featuring SunGard Software Development Manager, Jiaping Zhang. Hear how SunGard was able to scale their Ambit BancWare Asset and Liability Management (ALM) application to 1024 cores and demonstrate near-linear scalability.
Also, watch episode 86 of Parallel Programming Talk featuring SunGard Chief Technology Officer, Don Tyson, discuss SunGard's intelliMATCH application optimization effort. A dramatic reduction in transaction reconciliation time was achieved by taking advantage of parallel processing.
(SunGard, #380 on the Fortune 500, provides software and processing solutions for financial services, higher education and the public sector.)
Intel Software Products
- Product Suites
- Intel Compilers
- VTune™ Analyzers
- Performance Libraries
- Threading Analysis Tools
- Cluster Tools
- SOA Products
- XML Products
News, technical papers, resources and helpful links for the IT Professionals in the Financial Services Industry.
Migrating to Intel Architecture
Monte Carlo Demo
This demo shows how to benefit from Xeon multi-core architecture using Intel Tools. It shows incremental gains for the application due to Intel compiler, Math Kernel Libraries and OpenMP respectively. This has been achieved by minimal changes to the original CPU code.
The demo requires the installation of .Net framework which is included in the bundle.