Using the Intel® C++ Compiler, you can compile and generate applications that can run on the Intel® 64 and IA-32 architectures.
Intel® 64 architecture applications can run on the following:
- Windows* operating systems for Intel® 64 architecture-based systems.
- Linux* operating systems for Intel® 64 architecture-based systems.
- OS X* operating systems for Intel® 64 architecture-based systems. (Executables built with the Intel compiler can be combined into universal binaries using the Apple LIPO utility.)
IA-32 architecture applications can run on the following:
- Supported Windows* operating systems, including IA-32 architecture-based systems, targeting Intel® Graphics Technology. Intel® Graphics Technology is a preview feature.
- Supported Linux* operating systems
- Supported OS X* systems
Intel® Many Integrated Core Architecture (Intel® MIC Architecture) focused applications can build on supported Windows* and Linux* operating systems. However, these applications can run only on Intel® 64 architecture-based systems, targeting Intel® MIC Architecture.
Some information that applies to Intel® 64 architecture may also apply to Intel® Many Integrated Core Architecture (Intel® MIC Architecture).
Some information that applies to IA-32 architecture support for Windows* may also apply to Intel® Graphics Technology.
Unless specified otherwise, assume the information in this document applies to all supported architectures and all operating systems.
You can use the compiler on the command line or in a supported Integrated Development Environment (IDE):
- Microsoft Visual Studio* (Windows* OS only)
- Eclipse/CDT (Linux* OS only)
- Xcode (OS* X only)
See the Release Notes for complete information on supported architectures, operating systems, and Integrated Development Environments for this release.
Intel's compilers may or may not optimize to the same degree for non-Intel microprocessors for optimizations that are not unique to Intel microprocessors. These optimizations include SSE2, SSE3, and SSSE3 instruction sets and other optimizations. Intel does not guarantee the availability, functionality, or effectiveness of any optimization on microprocessors not manufactured by Intel. Microprocessor-dependent optimizations in this product are intended for use with Intel microprocessors. Certain optimizations not specific to Intel microarchitecture are reserved for Intel microprocessors. Please refer to the applicable product User and Reference Guides for more information regarding the specific instruction sets covered by this notice.
Notice revision #20110804