We are evaluating VTune Amplifier and are having trouble getting it to work with our x64 application. When attempting a basic hotspot analysis, the application crashes as soon as it is launched (or attached to). I've been able to get the 'advanced hotspot' analysis to work, but that's it. I've also tried the tachyon example, and while the win32 version works ok, the x64 version has the same problem. No matter how it is started (from VTune inside Visual Studio, amplxe-cl command line, or the standalone VTune), the find_hotspots.exe crashes immediately with no error messages beyond the standard windows error popups.
I dug into the windows event log and found this error for when the find_hotspots.exe fails:
"Faulting application name: find_hotspots.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52570c83
Faulting module name: tpsstool.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5241e2ee
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000006f133
Faulting process id: 0x1bd0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cec5fb74065388
Faulting application path: C:\TEMP\vtune\tachyon\vc9\find_hotspots_x64_Debug\find_hotspots.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin64\tpsstool.dll"
Are there any special tricks/limitations to analysing x64 applications?
- An advanced hotspot analysis of our x64 application (vtunes standalone or inside visual studio)
- The win32 version of tachyon/find_hotspots.exe (visual studio or the command line amplxe-cl)
What Doesn't Work:
- Basic Hotspot, Concurrency, Lock and Wait of our x64 application (vtunes standalone or inside visual studio (launch or attach))
- The x64 version of tachyon/find_hotspots (visual studio)
- The x64 version of tachyon/find_hotspots using 'amplxe-cl' from the Intel 64 Visual Studio Mode command prompt ("amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -- ./find_hotspots.exe ..\..\dat\balls.dat")
- VTune Amplifier XE 2013 Update 13
- Windows 7 x64
- Visual Studio 2010
- CPU: Intel Xeon
Thanks in advance,