This sample has been retired as it either was developed for earlier generation hardware or the sample has been superseded by a newer sample with an advanced algorithm. The sample is still available for download if desired.
Features / Description
Colony is a highly parallel optimized crowd simulation technique. Tens of thousands of units are simulated using a novel ray-casting technique. This is achieved by utilizing Intel® Threading Building Blocks (Intel® TBB) to distribute our work across multiple threads and multiple frames and utilizing SIMD to ensure further instruction-level parallelism. The source package has been updated with instrumentation for Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers (Intel® GPA) 4.0. Run the Profile build and capture a trace for Intel® GPA Platform Analyzer and see how the work is distributed across all the cores.
- CPU: Dual core or better (Intel® Core™ i5 or better suggested)
- GFX: Microsoft DirectX* 9c capable graphics card
- OS: Microsoft Windows Vista* (x64 editions) or Microsoft Windows* 7 (x64 editions)
- MEM: 2 GB of RAM or better
- Microsoft DirectX* SDK (June 2010 release or later)
- Microsoft Windows* SDK May 2010
- Microsoft Visual Studio* 2008 w/SP1, Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, or Intel® C++ Compiler version 11
- Intel® Threading Building Blocks and ITT (via Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzer)
- Microsoft* C Run-Time Libraries (CRT) 2008/2010
This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain countries (Burma, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) or to persons or entities prohibited from receiving U.S. exports (including Denied Parties, Specially Designated Nationals, and entities on the Bureau of Export Administration Entity List or involved with missile technology or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons).