If you are developing apps for Intel x86-based Android devices, and looking for an analysis tool for games running on Intel® Atom™ based phones using the Google* Android* OS, Intel® GPA 2012 R4 is a very useful one for Android Apps Developers. The followings are some quick getting started notes extracted from Android sections in Intel GPA Online Help that give you some helps on how to use it. For Android*, your development system (that is, your client OS for connecting to the Android* target) can be either Microsoft* Windows* or Ubuntu*.
About Intel® GPA System Analyzer 2012 R4 for Android
The Intel® GPA System Analyzer 2012 R4 now supports Intel® Atom™ based phones using the Google* Android* OS. With this new capability, you as an Android* developer can:
- get a real-time view of over two dozen critical system metrics covering the CPU, GPU, and OpenGL* ES API
- conduct a number of graphics pipeline experiments to isolate graphics bottlenecks quickly
- use either Microsoft Windows* or Ubuntu* OS as your development system.
Setting Up Android* Debug Bridge USB Connection
To use the Intel® GPA System Analyzer on Android*-x86 based devices, you need:
- An Intel-based mobile device with Android* OS.
- The latest version of Android* SDK installed on the client machine.
- Successfully established Android* Debug Bridge (ADB) USB connection between an Android*-x86 based device and the client system.
Follow the steps listed below to set up the Android* Debug Bridge USB connection for the Intel-based mobile devices:
- Enable the USB debugging option on the mobile device: Settings > Applications > Development.
- Make sure Android* SDK, Google USB Driver package, and Android* SDK Platform tools are installed.
- Plug in the device to your computer's USB port using the micro USB connector.
- Enable OS to discover the Android* device:
- On Windows* OS: Refer to the article Installation Instructions for Intel® Android* USB Driver to connect your Windows*-based machine to your Android device.
- On Linux* OS:
- Add the following lines to the file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules:
- On Windows* OS: update Advanced System Settings >Environment Variables
- On Linux* OS:
- update the ~/.profile file
- log out and log in again to the system
Other Android*-x86 devices may work with the same instructions above, but with the correct Vendor (VID) and Product (PID) id’s for that device.
Installation Notes for Ubuntu* OS
You need to install the Intel® GPA System Analyzer only on the client system; no installation is required on the Android* target, since the Android* device is explicitly connected to the client system via a USBb cable.
Follow the steps listed below to install the Intel® GPA System Analyzer on a system with an Ubuntu* OS:
- Make sure that the sharutils package is installed on your client machine.
- For an x86 system:
- Change file permissions by running the command chmod 755 gpa_12.4_x86.shar.
- Execute the .shar file by running the command ./gpa_12.4_x86.shar.
- Change file permissions by running the command chmod 755 gpa_12.4_x64.shar.
- Execute the .shar file by running the command ./gpa_12.4_x64.shar.
Installation Notes for Microsoft* Windows* OSDownloading Intel® GPA
To obtain a copy of Intel® GPA, go to the Intel GPA Home Page and select a version of the tool from the Download drop-down box.Installing Intel® GPA
Once you have downloaded the self-extracting .exe file:
- Open the self-extracting executable file.
- Run setup.exe that is contained in the top-level directory of the extracted files.
- Install the product from an Administrator account.
If you use the product in a client/target configuration, install Intel GPA on both systems. For more information on the client/target configuration, refer to Best Practice.
The installer automatically installs the following prerequisites if needed:
- Microsoft DirectX* Runtime June 2010 (via redirection to an external web site for download and installation)
- Microsoft .NET 4.0
To learn more and get started using this tool, please Visit Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers 2012 R4 Offical documente page or download a copy of Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers 2012 R4 help Guide