Intel® VTune™ Amplifier XE 2013 Update 6 release is now available for download at Intel Registration Center
New for Update 6!
- Caller/Callee window enabling the detailed analysis of the parent and child functions for a particular focus function
- Optimized welcome page providing direct access to analysis configurations and recent analysis results
- Separate configuration tabs for Binary/Symbol Search and Source Search
- Context help for hardware events and performance metrics columns in the grid
- Overhead and Spin time metrics in the grid and Timeline pane
- Time scale configuration (Elapsed time, OS timestamp, and CPU timestamp options) for the Timeline pane
- Fedora* 18 and Red Hat* Enterprise Linux* 6.4 support
- Bug fixes
- The Caller/Callee window is available in all viewpoints that provide call stack data. Use this window to analyze parent and child functions of the selected focus function and identify the most time-critical call paths. You can double-click a function of interest to go to the source view and explore the function performance by a source line. Use the Filter In by Selection grid context menu option on a function of interest to display functions included into all sub-trees that contain the selected function at any level. For more information please refer to the “Window: Caller/Callee” topic in the product help.
- Improved welcome page now provides quick access to the recently used analysis configurations and analysis results.
- Separate configuration tabs for Binary/Symbol Search and Source Search. Use the tabs to configure the search directories for binary/symbol and source files required to finalize collected data and work with source/assembly view. For example: if an application to analyze and the source files were moved from the location where the application was compiled then directories for separate debug files and source files should be specified in the tabs for proper symbol resolving and work with source/assembly view.
- To get context help on a particular hardware PMU event or performance metric select What’s This Column? grid context menu option.
- Overhead and Spin time metrics are provided in the grid and Timeline pane of the Hotspots by CPU Usage, Hotspots by Thread Concurrency, and Lightweight Hotspots viewpoints. The metrics will allow to identify inefficiencies in using threading runtimes (for example, Intel® Threading Building Blocks, Intel® Cilk™, OpenMP*) when a significant portion of time may be spent inside the parallel runtime wasting CPU time at high concurrency levels (overhead), or when a significant portion of CPU time is spent on spin (active) waits. For more information please refer to “Overhead and Spin time” topic in the product help.
NOTE: VTune Amplifier ignores the Overhead and Spin time when calculating the CPU Usage metric.
- To change the measurement units on the time scale select the Show Time Scale As context menu option in Timeline, and choose from the following values:
- Elapsed Time (default)
- OS Timestamp
- CPU Timestamp
For all Timeline view control capabilities refer to “Managing Timeline View” topic in the product help