Features / Description
Shadow Explorer is a sample application, with source code, that allows developers to work with several shadowing techniques, examine the performance versus quality tradeoffs of each one, and discover which is best suited for their game. In this first version of Shadow Explorer, we include four algorithms for evaluation: simple shadow maps, percentage closer shadow maps, variance shadow maps and exponential variance shadow maps. Each method is optimized for performance and exposes several variables, which allow the developer to further refine the technique in real time. Additionally, two scenes are provided to enable the developer to explore the strengths of each technique on different types of geometry.
- CPU: Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX)-enabled x86 (Intel® microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge or better suggested)
- GFX: uses Microsoft DirectX* 11 graphics API on Microsoft DirectX* 10 (or better) hardware
- OS: Microsoft Windows* 7 SP1 (for Intel AVX support)
- MEM: 2 GB of RAM or better
- Microsoft DirectX* SDK (June 2010 release or later)
- Microsoft Windows* SDK May 2010
- Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010 (Intel AVX support required) or Intel® C++ Compiler version 11
- Microsoft* C Run-Time Libraries (CRT) 2008/2010
This software is subject to the U.S. Export Administration Regulations and other U.S. law, and may not be exported or re-exported to certain countries (Burma, Cuba, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria) or to persons or entities prohibited from receiving U.S. exports (including Denied Parties, Specially Designated Nationals, and entities on the Bureau of Export Administration Entity List or involved with missile technology or nuclear, chemical or biological weapons).