This document will guide you through installing the Intel® Atom™ x86 image for Android* Jelly Bean, which can be used for development on Intel’s x86 architecture.
The Android x86 Emulator Image requires the Android SDK to be installed. For instructions on installing and configuring the Android SDK, refer to the Android developer website (http://developer.android.com/sdk/).
Optional: The x86 Emulator Image for Android can be accelerated using Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager (HAXM). For more information, refer to the "Optimization" section of this document.
- Camera issue: camera crashes when recording video on android 4.2 system image, this issue has been reported on: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=41227
- Browser issue: browser randomly crashes the emulator on Vista 32bit machine. It has been reported on: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42733
- Stability issue: The emulator may crash when using 1024 for the device RAM size of an AVD. Intel is currently investigating and further characterizing this issue.
Downloading through Android SDK Manager
- Start the Android SDK Manager.
- Under Android 4.2 (API 17), select "Intel x86 Atom System Image":
- Once selected, click the Install Package button.
- Review the Intel Corporation license agreement. If you accept the terms, select Accept and click Install.
- The SDK Manager will download and extract the system image to the appropriate location within the Android SDK directory.
Using the System Image
- Start the Android AVD Manager and create a new AVD, setting "Target" to "Android 4.2 – API Level 17", and "CPU/ABI" to "Intel Atom (x86)".
The Intel Atom x86 Image for Android Jelly Bean can make use of hardware GPU features to increase the performance of games, graphics-intensive programs, and user interface elements. For the best performance make sure to check the "Use Host GPU" Box when creating the image.
Note: The functionality and performance of GPU acceleration is highly dependent on your computer’s graphics card and graphics drivers. GPU acceleration must be enabled on a per AVD basis.
Note: if the "Intel Atom (x86)" CPU/ABI option is not available, make sure that the system image is installed correctly.
- Click the "Create AVD" button.
- The AVD has been successfully created and is now ready to use:
The performance of the Intel Atom x86 Image for Android Jelly Bean can be improved with hardware-based virtualization using Intel VT-x technology.
If your computer has an Intel processor with VT-x support, it is recommended that Intel Hardware Acceleration Execution Manager (HAXM) be used in conjunction with this system image. For more information about Intel HAXM, visit http://www.intel.com/software/android.
Note:Intel HAXM is for Windows and OS X operating systems only. For Linux hosts, Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) can be used to accelerate emulation performance. For information on installing and configuring KVM on Ubuntu, refer to this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
Copyright (C) 2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel, Atom, and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
All products, computer systems, dates, and figures specified are preliminary based on current expectations, and are subject to change without notice.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Product and Performance Information
Performance varies by use, configuration and other factors. Learn more at www.Intel.com/PerformanceIndex.