Dr. Per Öster, Director, Research Infrastructures
Dr. Jussi Enkovaara, Senior application scientist, High Performance Computing support
The Intel® Parallel Computing Center(s) (Intel® PCC) at CSC – IT Center Science will, in collaboration with researchers in atmospheric- and environmental science, develop parallel algorithms and optimize open source high-performance computing (HPC) applications for Intel’s latest parallel processor architectures. Close collaborators are The Finnish Centre of Excellence in Atmospheric Science and Bull’s Center for Excellence in Parallel Programming. In addition to atmospheric and environmental research codes, CSC will work with an application code from materials sciences. The selected applications are widely used both nationally and internationally, and the optimization work will benefit a large group of researchers. The initial list of applications targeted to be optimized for the Intel® architecture is:
- Atmospheric sciences: ECHAM6 plus a number of atmospheric models from Helsinki University
- Multi-physics and Glaciology: Elmer and Elmer/Ice
- Materials and nanoscience: GPAW
Parallelization and optimization of the codes will be carried out by CSC’s HPC experts using an extremely energy-efficient liquid-cooled Bull B715 supercomputer prototype and CSC’s other supercomputer resources. The optimizations will target both the latest generations of Intel® Xeon® processor as well as the Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessor.
In addition to the optimization work, CSC will develop and carry out a comprehensive training program to support the general build-up of HPC programming and optimization skills.
- March 5 2018, GPAW Performance Optimisation and Energy Consumption on KNLs, IXPUG Spring 2018
- March 6 2018, OpenMP Threading and Vectorization of MPI Finite Element Code Elmer, IXPUG Spring 2018
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, August 17 2017, OpenMP ^* SIMD Vectorization and Threading of the Elmer Finite Element Software, IWOMP 2017.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, June 4 2017, Elmfire on KNL Recipe, GitHub*.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, May 8 2016, Code modernization: 4 successful cases and lessons learned, CSC.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, December 18 2016, Phiprof - Parallel Hierarchical Profiler, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, January 1 2017, Vlasiator on KNL, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, June 14 2017, IPCC Elmer - Second phase (OpenMP SIMD and threading), GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, June 5 2017, GPAW on KNL Recipe, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, January 27 2017, Elmer on KNL recipe, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, November 3 2016, Gromacs on KNC recipe, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, November 19 2014, Experiences with porting to Xeon Phi by CSC IT Center for Science Ltd, IXPUG.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, November 19 2014, Python* based software on MIC, IXPUG.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, January 18 2017, HELP on KNL recipe, GitHub.
- CSC - IT Center for Science Ltd, December 22 2016, 4 things that will happen in HPC in 2017, CSC.
Product and Performance Information
Performance varies by use, configuration and other factors. Learn more at www.Intel.com/PerformanceIndex.