Analyze Performance in Amazon Web Services* (AWS*) EC2* Instances
- Performance analysis tools:Intel Advisor2019 Update 1The latest version is available for download at https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/advisor/choose-download.html .
- Platform: AWS EC2 instance
- Other tools: PuTTY, WinSCP, and VNC* technology
- Gather all the tools and supporting files you need to upload, such as theIntel Advisorinstallation package, the Intel® Compiler installation package, the target application, supporting libraries, etc.
Launch an AWS EC2 Instance
- Public IP address:
- Private key file:
Connect to the AWS EC2 Instance Using PuTTY
- Configure the secure SSH connection. During configuration, enter:
- The private key file in:
- The public IP address in:
- Establish the secure SSH connection and log in using the default user name for the AMI:
Upload All Tools, Applications, and Supporting Files to the AWS EC2 Instance Using WinSCP
- Configure the WinSCP connection. During configuration, enter the:
- The public IP address in
- The default user name for the AMI in
- The private key file in
- Log in to the AWS EC2 instance.
- Upload theIntel Advisorinstallation package, the target application, and all other supporting tools, libraries, and files.
Install and Set Up the
and Other Supporting Tools
- Uncompress theIntel Advisorinstallation package.
- Launch the installation executable.During installation, you may be asked to install external libraries upon which theIntel Advisordepends. In this recipe, libraries were uploaded from the following entities: GTK, Pango, ALSA, and X.Org.
- Set up theIntel Advisor:source /opt/intel/advisor_2019.1.0.579143/advixe-vars.sh
GUI to Analyze Performance
- Set up a GUI in the AWS EC2 instance:
- Install VNC technology and necessary libraries.
- Run a VNC server.
- Create an SSH tunnel with the correct port number.
- Connect to the AWS EC2 instance using a VNC viewer.
- Launchadvixe-guito open theIntel AdvisorGUI.
- Collect Roofline data:$ advixe-cl --collect=survey --project-dir=./myAdvisorProj -- myTargetApp $ advixe-cl --collect=tripcounts --flop --no-trip-counts --project-dir=./myAdvisorProj -- myTargetApp
- Generate a Roofline report in an interactive HTML format that does not require theIntel Advisorfor display:$ advixe-cl --report=roofline --project-dir=./myAdvisorProj
- Generate a Summary report in text format and save it to theoutdirectory:$ advixe-cl --report=summary --project-dir=./myAdvisorProj --format=text --report-output=./out/summary.txt
- Create a read-only snapshot to package performance data, sources, and binaries for further investigation, save it to thetmpdirectory, and name itmyAdvisorProjSnapshot.advixeexpz:$ advixe-cl --snapshot --project-dir=./myAdvisorProj --pack --cache-sources --cache-binaries -- ./tmp/myAdvisorProjSnapshot