Get Started with Energy Analysis
Energy Analysis with Intel® SoC Watch
Get the Tools
Option 1: Command line collection on target system
Option 2: GUI-based collection on target system
Step 1: Install Intel SoC Watch on Target System
Step 2: Collect Data
- Open a command prompt with administrative/root privileges on the target system where Intel SoC Watch was installed.
- Enter the command below to capture CPU time in low power states over a 60-second period.socwatch -t 60 -f cpu-cstate -m -o results/test
Step 3: View Results
- Open thetest.csvfile using a spreadsheet viewer (such as Microsoft Excel*) or a text viewer (such as vi/vim or Microsoft Wordpad*).Some text viewers give better column alignment than others.
- Review the tables in the report file. A partial set of tables is shown in the example report below.
- Learn about additional data that you can collect on the target system. Run the help command:socwatch -h. The Intel SoC Watch User's Guide has a list of all provided metrics. Some metrics may not be supported on your platform.
- Define a scenario you want to analyze for energy use. For example:
- System idle scenario, where the system is not in use during the collection time and is expected to drop its energy use to the lowest possible. Use a longer collection period (several minutes) to give the system time to transition to deep sleep or hibernation.
- Active workload, such as video or audio playback. Start both an activity and collection for a predetermined time or let the collection run until manually stopped. Use the help command to learn about Intel SoC Watch options that allow launching a workload, delaying a collection start, and running for indefinite time.
- Generate a trace file (*.pwr) to import and view inIntel® VTune™. Add theProfiler-r vtuneoption to the command line. For more information, see https://software.intel.com/en-us/energy-analysis-user-guide-intel-energy-analysis .
The Intel SoC Watch User's Guide is a reference manual with explanations of all command line options and features as well as example reports.
The guide is available in the
documentationdirectory after installation. You can also obtain a copy from .
The Intel SoC Watch Release Notes contain the most up-to-date information about the product, including a product description, technical support, and known limitations and issues for a particular operating system. This document also contains system requirements for installing the product.
documentationdirectory of the product after installation or download from .
The energy analysis help provides basic information about running a collection. It also includes information about how to view and analyze the results with
Intel SoC Watch command line help
You can access general help for the Intel SoC Watch command line interface by entering this command: