Minimizing Overdraw for DirectX 9/10 Frames
- Select the render targets you want to inspect. To inspect all render targets within the scene, check theEntire Framecheck box in the Erg Table with Metric Data List. To inspect specific render targets, select at least one erg from each render target that you are interested in analyzing.
- Click a render target in theRender Target Thumbnail Listto select it.
- From theViewpane selectOverdrawto see which pixels were written to the most times, per render target.
- Within the Render Target View, select a pixel of interest with the mouse. Darker pixel values mean that those pixels were written to fewer times than lighter pixel values. The Pixel History tab opens.
- In theSelect Ergsbutton in the Pixel History tab.
- Determine what can be done to get the same or similar results at less cost:
- If you see that two ergs affecting the pixel are of the same type, you may improve performance by removing one of them. To see how much performance you can gain by removing the erg, select it, and check theDisable Erg(s)check box in the Experiments tab.