Passive Heatsink Assembly
- Your board may come with Wi-Fi antennas taped to the silver Intel® Joule™ module, as shown in the image below. If so, gently remove the tape so you can install the heat sink onto the Intel Joule module, as described below. (See Antenna Placement for additional information).
- Take the development platform and place it right side up in the table in front of you, with the USB ports and power barrel facing toward you. The Intel logo should be right side up and visible.
- Pick up the heat sink adapter frame. The triangular side should point to the right, with the plastic brackets protruding down from the bottom of the frame. These plastic brackets will snap into place around the silver Intel Joule module. (See Create a Thermal Plate Adapter if you need a replacement part.) Place the adapter frame on the Intel Joule module, lining it up with the left edge of the thermal shield.
- Gently press down on the adapter frame. The plastic brackets on the bottom of the adapter frame should snap securely into place around the left, top, and bottom sides of the thermal shield, as shown in the image below.
- Once the adapter is in place, pick up the heat sink and place it gently inside the adapter's square frame. The fins should run horizontally, from left to right.Note: There will be some slight wiggle room between the heatsink and the edges of the adapter frame; this is by design.
- Take the wire strap, so that the side with two hooks on the end is on the left side. Lightly place the wire strap over the two middle fins of the heat sink.
- On the left side of the adapter frame, slide the hooked ends of the wire strap down through the rectangular slot on the adapter frame. Make sure the hooks wrap down neatly under the adapter frame.
- On the right side of the adapter frame, take the looped end of the wire strap. Gently press down on the end of the wire strap, until the loop snaps securely into place under the small tab on the right edge of the adapter frame.