Antenna Connector Details
- Specifications for antennas and connectors for the Intel Joule Compute Module.
- How to connect an antenna to the module.
- How to disconnect an antenna from the module.
- Always have both antennas connected to reduce the influence of multipath propagation.
- Use care not to bend, or kink the antenna cables. Route the cable around, not over, other system components that can generate electrical interference.
- Changing the antenna can impact regulatory certifications and international authorizations. It is the sole responsibility of the product development team to ensure compliance with local rules for intended usage.
- Performance can degrade when antenna specifications aren't matched to radio parameters.
- The Intel Joule module has two MFH4 (U.FL compatible) connectors for wireless antennas.
Note: Module antenna connectors are rated for a maximum of 30 connection cycles.
- Study the MHF4 design, specifications, and tools available on the Internet.
- Inspect the antenna receptacles on the module; don't use if deformed or damaged.
- If possible, acquire or 3D print an installation tool. If using a tool; follow the instructions found with the tool.
- For manual installation, align the connectors so they are perpendicular. Attempting to engage connectors at an angle damages both connectors.
- Press the antenna wire connector straight down onto the module receptacle. You should hear an audible click and mechanical snap when a proper connection is made.
- Acquire and use the reference tool and method provided by the connector manufacturer, if possible.
- Don' t detach the connector by pulling on the antenna cable or lead wire.
- An alternate method from using the manufacturer-created tool is to use a non-metal tweezer-like device. Use it to simultaneously apply separation forces on two sides of the connector evenly between the cable connector and the board-mounted connector to gently lift the connector off the receptacle.