Setting up serial communication for Windows* hosts
- Download and install the FTDI drivers (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm) for use on the host computer.
- Plug the Micro USB cable (Type B) into a regularType A USB porton your host computer.
- Plug the other end of the cable in to theMicro USB Type B porton the development platform.
- On your host computer, openDevice Manager. Under the Ports (COM & LPT) category, look for theUSB Serial Portentry and make a note of the COM# displayed in parenthesis (in this case, COM3; the COM# on your system may vary).TroubleshootingIf you're trying to open serial communication with your development platform, you may find that when you open Device Manager, the serial device has no driver. The Device Manager may show an error or an unknown driver message, along with a yellow warning triangle icon. If this happens:
- Right-click on the broken serial device entry in the Device Manager and selectUpdate driver software.
- ClickBrowse my computerand select the folder you extracted the files to. The driver should automatically be found.
- Install a terminal application (PuTTY for example)a. Download the PuTTY terminal emulator: http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe.b. Double-click theputty.exefile you downloaded to run it.c. Configure the PuTTY menu as follows:i. Under Connection type, selectSerial.ii. In theSerial linefield, enter the COM# for your development platform, which you noted in the steps above.III. In theSpeedfield, type115200.d. In the Category pane on the left, selectTerminal > Keyboard.i. Under The Backspace key, selectControl-H.ii. Under The Function keys and keypad, selectSCO.
- ClickOpen. A blank PuTTY window opens, ready to display the output from your development platform once it's booted up. Maximize the PuTTY window.
IMPORTANT:To save these settings for later use, in the Category pane, choose
Session. Under Saved Sessions, type a name for your settings and click
Save. In the future, when you open PuTTY and want to reconnect to your development platform, you can simply
Loadyour saved settings and
Opena connection to your development platform, without needing to select all of the connection options again!