CPU Operation Modes
- Protected- the native operating mode of the processor.
- Real(or Real-address) - the mode that provides the programming environment of the Intel 8086 processor with extensions.
- Virtual86(or Virtual-8086) - a quasi-operating mode that allows the processor execute 8086 software in a protected, multitasking environment.
- Compatibility- the IA-32e submodule that allows most legacy protected-mode applications to run unchanged.
- 64-Bit- the IA-32e submodule that rovides 64-bit linear addressing and support for physical address space larger than 64 GBytes.
- VMXroot- the mode for VMX root operations for Virtual Machine Monitors (VMM)
- VMXguest- the mode for VMX non-root operations for the guest software.
- SMM- System Management Mode that provides an operating system or executive with a transparent mechanism for implementing power management and OEM differentiation features.