IO Issues: High Latency and Low PCIe* Bandwidth
- Performance analysis tools:
- Intel VTune Amplifier 2018: Disk Input and Output analysis
- Starting with the 2020 release, Intel® VTune™ Amplifier has been renamed toIntel® VTune™.Profiler
- Most recipes in theIntel® VTune™Performance Analysis Cookbook are flexible. You can apply them to different versions ofProfilerIntel® VTune™. In some cases, minor adjustments may be required.Profiler
- Operating system: Red Hat* Enterprise Server 7.2
- CPU: Intel microarchitecture code name Skylake
- IO device specification: Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Family for PCIe* P3500/P3600/P3700 Series
Run Disk Input and Output Analysis
- Click theNew Projectbutton on the toolbar and specify a name for the new project, for example:hdparm.
- In theAnalysis Targetwindow, select thelocal hosttarget system type for the host-based analysis.
- Select theLaunch Applicationtarget type and specify an application for analysis on the right pane.
- Click theChoose Analysisbutton on the right, selectPlatform Analysis > Disk Input and Outputand clickStart.VTune Amplifier launches the application, collects data, finalizes the data collection result resolving symbol information, which is required for successful source analysis.
Analyze Bandwidth and Latency Metrics
Change Application Affinity and Re-run the Analysis
- Determine IO Unit (IOU) Affinity for PCIe devices.
- Distribute applications to IO Units appropriately.
- Learn performance capabilities of your device.
- Set reasonable performance targets.