Import Linux Perf* Trace with
- Select aVTuneanalysis type that is of interest to you.Profiler
- UseVTuneto get a set of Linux Perf options and apply them to a Perf collection on your target system.Profiler
- Import the generated Linux Perf trace into aVTuneproject and start analysis.Profiler
Profiler Analysis Type
Profiler to Get Linux Perf Options for Analysis
- Install theVTuneon any Linux system with a similar hardware configuration (the same CPU family) as the system where real performance profiling is planned to be run.Profiler
- Run aVTuneanalysis of your interest to generateProfilerperfcmdfile with Perf options:$-cl -r <vtuneresult-folder> -collect <analysis-type> -finalization-mode=none -d 1For example, for the Microarchitecture Exploration run:vtune-cl -r bogus_result -collect uarch-exploration -finalization-mode=none -d 1The<file with all necessary Linux Perf options is generated.result-folder>/data.0/perfcmd
- You do not run any real workload here. The only purpose of this run is to generate theperfcmdfile.
- VTunelicense is not required for this step since you only collect data without opening it.Profiler
- Open theperfcmdfile and copy-paste its content to a Linux Perf command invocation on your real target system.Your Perf tool should contain a patch from https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/f92da71280fb8da3a7c489e08a096f0b8715f939#diff-809984534aa420619413fdf4c260605d. In Linux kernel version >= 4.19, this patch is applied out of the box, in earlier versions you need to manually apply it and recompile the Perf tool.
- Run the Linux Perf configuration on your target system.
Import the Linux Perf Trace into a
- Create aVTuneproject or open an existing one.Profiler
- Click theImport Resulttoolbar button.TheImport File and Create a Resultwindow opens.
- SelectImport a single fileoption and navigate to the Linux Perf trace file.VTuneimports the trace and opens the result in the default viewpoint. You may switch between viewpoints to apply the most relevant. For example, use the Microarchitecture Exploration viewpoint for the Microarchitecture Exploration analysis.Profiler