Set Up Linux* System for Remote Analysis
Profiler Collectors on the Target Device Manually
- Copy the required target package archive to the target device using ftp, sftp, or scp. The following target packages are available on the host system where theVTuneis installed:Profiler
Use both*_x86and*_x86_64packages if you plan to run and analyze 32-bit processes on 64-bit systems.
- - provides hardware event-based sampling collector only (SEP) for 64-bit systems<install-dir>/target/linux/vtune__target_sep_x86_64.tgzprofiler
- - provides all<install-dir>/target/linux/vtune__target_x86.tgzprofilerVTunecollectors for x86 systemsProfiler
- - provides all<install-dir>/target/linux/vtune__target_x86_64.tgzprofilerVTunecollectors for 64-bit systemsProfiler
- On the target device, unpack the product package to the/tmpdirectory or another writable location on the system:target> tar -zxvf <target_package>.tgzVTunetarget package is located in the newly created directoryProfiler/tmp/vtune_._<profilerversion>.<package_num>
- Use theoption to specify the path to theVTuneinstallation directory on the remote systemProfilerVTuneon the remote system. If default location is used, the path is provided automatically.Profiler
- Use theTemporary directory on the remote systemoption to specify a non-default temporary directory.
Build and Install the Drivers Manually
- Build the sampling driver on the target system.
- Make sure kernel headers correspond to the kernel version running on the device. For details, see theREADME.txtfile in thesepdk/srcdirectory.
- Make sure compiler version corresponds to the architecture (x86 or x86_64) of the kernel running on the target system.
- For Hotspots in hardware event-based sampling mode, Microarchitecture Exploration, and Custom event-based sampling analysis types, you may not need root credentials and installing the sampling driver for systems with kernel 2.6.32 or higher, which exports CPU PMU programming details over/sys/bus/event_source/devices/cpu/formatfile system. Your operating system limits on the maximum amount of files opened by a process as well as maximum memory mapped to a process address space still apply and may affect profiling capabilities. These capabilities are based on Linux Perf* functionality and all its limitations fully apply to theVTuneas well. For more information, see theProfilerTutorial: Troubleshooting and Tipstopic at https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page.
- On the target device, install the drivers.If theinsmod-sepscript does not work on the target system due to absence of standard Linux commands, you may install drivers manually using the Linux OSinsmodcommand directly.