HOW: Analysis Types
- Hotspots is best for analyzing call paths to find where your code is spending the most time and discover opportunities for tuning your algorithms. Applies to C/C++, Fortran, Java*, or Python* apps and more, including apps running in containers such as Docker*, LXC, and others. SeeFinding Hotspots tutorial: Linux | Windows .
- Memory Consumption is best for analyzing memory consumption by your app, its distinct memory objects, and their allocation stacks. Applies to C/C++ or Python apps. This analysis is supported for Linux targets only.
- Threading is best for visualizing thread parallelism on available cores, locating causes of low concurrency, and identifying serial bottlenecks in your code. Applies to C/C++, Fortran, or Java* apps and more.
- Microarchitecture Exploration (formerly known as General Exploration) is best for identifying the CPU pipeline stage (front-end, back-end, etc.) and hardware units responsible for your hardware bottlenecks. Applies to C/C++, Fortran, or Java* apps and more, including apps in containers such as Docker* or LXC.
- Memory Access is best for memory-bound apps to determine which level of the memory hierarchy is impacting your performance by reviewing CPU cache and main memory usage, including possible NUMA issues. Applies to C/C++, Fortran, or Java* apps and more.
- System Overview is a driverless event-based sampling analysis that monitors general behavior of your target Linux* or Android* system and correlates power and performance metrics with the interrupt request (IRQ) handling.
- GPU Offload (preview) is targeted for applications using a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) for rendering, video processing, and computations. It helps you identify whether your application is CPU or GPU bound.
- GPU Compute/Media Hotspots (preview) is targeted for GPU-bound applications and helps analyze GPU kernel execution per code line and identify performance issues caused by memory latency or inefficient kernel algorithms.
- Platform Profiler analysis collects data on a deployed system running a full load over an extended period of time with insights into overall system configuration, performance, and behavior. The collection is run on a command prompt outside ofVTuneand results are viewed in a web browser.Profiler