Error Message: Cannot Enable Event-Based Sampling Collection
Intel® VTune™cannot access the PMU resources in the virtualization environment since either the PMU resources are made unavailable through BIOS options or Hyper-V has been activated on an unsupported platform.
Known System Limitations
- The sampling-based performance profiling on Hyper-V has only been available since Windows 10 RS3 release (version 1709) or later. Check your Windows OS version to make sure theVTunecan run on the system:Profiler> winverFor example,Version 1709indicates that the supported Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (RedStone3) is running on the system:
- The Hyper-V allows the sampling-based performance profiling on the latest generation of Intel microarchitectures code named Skylake and Goldmont onward.VTunewill not be able to work in the Hyper-V environment running on Intel microarchitectures code named Haswell or Broadwell.Profiler
To enable hardware event-based sampling collection for systems
prior toWindows 10 RS3, do the following:
- Enable access to the PMU resources through BIOS options (if it was disabled manually).
- Disable theHyper-Vfeature as follows:
- From theStartmenu selectSearch > Settings > Turn Windows features on or offto open theWindows Featureswindow.
- Make sure to disable theHyper-Vfeature and its sub-features and restart the system.
- If theHyper-Vfeature is not disabled even after the system reboot, you must disable the BIOS VMX (virtualization feature) if it was not turned off already.
To troubleshoot hardware event-based sampling collection problems for Windows 10 RS3, make sure you have the Credential Guard and Device Guard security features disabled on your system.