Finding the Innovators " Reflections on Software Enabling Summit
I met a man at Intel who has arguably one of the coolest jobs that I have ever heard of. For the sake of privacy let's call him "Steve A." He has arduous task of going out to find innovators in and out of the Web 2.0 space. If you're struggling with a definition of Web 2.0 please see URL http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html?page=1 if you are at Intel or the external Wikipedia main site at
URL http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page At any rate, you will become educated.
A sort of evolution is occurring at Intel in the form of a new global software enabling strategy. Steve is part of a team that wants to seriously ramp engagements with ISVs in order to maximize reach and return. In other words, they want to compile a worldwide database of some 50,000 ISVs actively engaged with Intel on various levels. Some things of note are happening in the universal S/W ecosystem. They are most notably that cost of development, distribution and sales/marketing are ALL declining. Given these watershed events this team is doing a bang up job identifying some of the most innovative companies and has some early successes to boot. Some of those successes are:
- Engage with Web 2.0 innovators at key events worldwide
- Second life " A virtual world that allows for pure escapism if that is what you want. Very neat! Here is a short except of an article posted at URL http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/7ba1af8f3812d010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html "I'm standing in an airy train station surrounded by rolling, wooded hills. Distant sounds of birds and trickling water reach my ears over a low buzz of chitchat from the people around me. They have come from all over North America to meet here, and now they're lounging on couches and standing in sociable little clots. Ballerinas are talking to men in body armor, while guys in suits show off their dance moves to aliens and ladies with wings. I try not to stare." One singer, (Suzanne Vega), is touted as being the first person to perform live in the virtual world via her avatar. Got an hidden talent you want broadcast to the world?
- Riya "touted as the "next Google" of visual search, (as opposed to textual search engines. You can visit them at URL http://www.riya.com/ pretty cool!
- Zimbra "The innovations of this email client are simply shocking in that they are SO GOOD. I would recommend that you take a look at one of the demos on their website and download the Ajax web client. You will be amazed as I was.
- Jeff Han "Jeff demonstrates a multi-touch sensing display technology that is years ahead of what is to be found on the market today. Once again, I was very surprised at what I saw viewing the video clip of this demo. You can see this innovative approach to displays at URL http://www.cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/
These are just a FEW of the many examples that I could share. Perhaps I will do more in the future. Until then, I think you will have fun with what I have given you so far. I need to find an innovator on astronomy (my favorite hobby).
All the best!