Amplifier crashes VS2008

Amplifier crashes VS2008

Hi everyone,

I am trying to profile a fortran application with Amplifier. When I run it, I get a windows message saying:

---------------------------

Windows - No Disk
Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 7c7df5f8 9ca8bcf8 7c7df5f8 7c7df5f8
Cancel Try Again Continue

And the email body the error generates looks like:

Exception Info:
Code: 0xc0000005
Description: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Address: 0x7814510C
Module: MSVCR80.dll
Stack:
MSVCR80.dll memcpy
MSVCR80.dll memcpy_s
TPPackage.dll DllUnregisterServer
TPPackage.dll DllUnregisterServer

I'm having a hard time attaching the zip file but I sent it to Intel... perhaps this little bit of info can help out in debugging.
Thanks in advance.

BTW, my program runs just fine otherwise.

10 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for letting us know about this problem. Although, Amplifier does not support Fortran applications, it shouldn't crash anyway.

I didn't get how exactly you sent the zip file, but I'd really appreciate it if you attach your binary to the forum message. The attachment mechanism if fuzzy indeed: "Add files" button -> "Create folder" [Folder Name] -> Click Folder Name -> Browse your file -> "Upload" button -> "Add as Attachment" button.

-Vladimir

Hi Vladmir, thanks for the file help. I've attached it here and also emailed it to Intel. I'm confused about the "support" part. Is parallel studio for C/C++ programs only then? Such a valuable product for us scientific programmers... who must we beg? :)

Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks for letting us know about this problem. Although, Amplifier does not support Fortran applications, it shouldn't crash anyway.

I didn't get how exactly you sent the zip file, but I'd really appreciate it if you attach your binary to the forum message. The attachment mechanism if fuzzy indeed: "Add files" button -> "Create folder" [Folder Name] -> Click Folder Name -> Browse your file -> "Upload" button -> "Add as Attachment" button.

Anlagen: 

AnhangGröße
Herunterladen problem_report6.zip651.83 KB

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks a lot for the logs, it really helps us to identify the problem.

I'm still curious what exactly you mean by saying that you "emailed it to Intel"? Premier Support?

WRT Fortran support. Yes, we are not going to throw away scientists and all other Fortran programmers. Intel Parallel Studio is a product for mainstream programmers, i.e. Windows, VS, C++ as opposite to HPC niche, which is supported by VTune, Thread Checker and Thread Profiler at the moment. But we continue developing new products. Just stay tuned.

-Vladimir

Hi Vladmir,

When it crashes there is a window with the option to email this to Intel. If you click on the email link on the left of the window it opens your default email client with the To: vtune.analyzer.support@intel.com with the body filled out with the info from my original post. I attached the same zip file to the email and sent it. :)

I'm confused on the difference between those tools below and the ones with Parallel studio. I thought PS wouldsupersedeIPP, vTune and given the better integration with VS2008 I've jumped ship from linux's Sun Studio just for the pleasure of working with Intel compilers! Please explain the difference to me?

FF

Hi Fernanda,

Thanks a lot for the logs, it really helps us to identify the problem.

I'm still curious what exactly you mean by saying that you "emailed it to Intel"? Premier Support?

WRT Fortran support. Yes, we are not going to throw away scientists and all other Fortran programmers. Intel Parallel Studio is a product for mainstream programmers, i.e. Windows, VS, C++ as opposite to HPC niche, which is supported by VTune, Thread Checker and Thread Profiler at the moment. But we continue developing new products. Just stay tuned.

Hi Fernanda,

Ohh, I completely forgot about this source of sending the reports. I'm mostly walking around ISN forums and Premier Support. Sorry for the confusion.

WRT Intel Parallel Studio positioning, as I mentioned before it's kind of superseding of "old" products in the mainstream niche. Besides, it adds IPP, TBB and better VS integration in one to make life easier for beginners. In the same time the set of old/classical tools like Compiler, VTune, Thread Checker, Thread Profiler, IPP and MKL is more powerful and more complicated, but more preferred by the experienced users. So, in the HPC niche (Fortran, Linux, etc.) we have no substitute to the classical tools set at the moment.

-Vladimir

What a bummer! I was hoping to leave behind Sun Studio specially now that it seems uncertain about the future of this niche set of tools within Sun. So what is PS missing from the old tools? MKL, VTune? I wish Intel would integrate with something open sourced though instead of VS...

Back to my crash though... should PS be able to profile that fortran application at all?

Hi Fernanda,

Ohh, I completely forgot about this source of sending the reports. I'm mostly walking around ISN forums and Premier Support. Sorry for the confusion.

WRT Intel Parallel Studio positioning, as I mentioned before it's kind of superseding of "old" products in the mainstream niche. Besides, it adds IPP, TBB and better VS integration in one to make life easier for beginners. In the same time the set of old/classical tools like Compiler, VTune, Thread Checker, Thread Profiler, IPP and MKL is more powerful and more complicated, but more preferred by the experienced users. So, in the HPC niche (Fortran, Linux, etc.) we have no substitute to the classical tools set at the moment.

Quoting - Fernanda Foertter What a bummer! I was hoping to leave behind Sun Studio specially now that it seems uncertain about the future of this niche set of tools within Sun. So what is PS missing from the old tools? MKL, VTune? I wish Intel would integrate with something open sourced though instead of VS...

You are on the right way. But we need some time to fulfil that requirements. We are working on that. Stay tuned.

Quoting - Fernanda Foertter Back to my crash though... should PS be able to profile that fortran application at all?

No. This version supports C/C++ only.

-Vladimir

Great Vladmir! You give me hope!

Quoting - Fernanda Foertter What a bummer! I was hoping to leave behind Sun Studio specially now that it seems uncertain about the future of this niche set of tools within Sun. So what is PS missing from the old tools? MKL, VTune? I wish Intel would integrate with something open sourced though instead of VS...

You are on the right way. But we need some time to fulfil that requirements. We are working on that. Stay tuned.

Quoting - Fernanda Foertter Back to my crash though... should PS be able to profile that fortran application at all?

No. This version supports C/C++ only.

No problem :)

-Vladimir

Kommentar hinterlassen

Bitte anmelden, um einen Kommentar hinzuzufügen. Sie sind noch nicht Mitglied? Jetzt teilnehmen