Win Help to HTML Help

Win Help to HTML Help

Bild des Benutzers Community Admin

I have just been reading Norman Lawrences chapter on Help files and made a few minor improvements to my help file.

Now I am looking at the Appendix on HTML help files.

I have followed the steps on converting to HTML help - everything is converted, but my Contents are not, the .cnt file is not converted to a .hhc file - any ideas why not?

Once the .rtf file has been converted to .htm files how I am supposed to edit them as they are full of html tags?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic,
Thanks,

David

3 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.
Bild des Benutzers Jugoslav Dujic

I replied to this last afternoon, did a "Preview", and before I posted I closed another IE window. "IEXPLORE.exe caused an invalid operation and will be shut down".
Then, last night guys played Quake on my computer, something overheated, the registry got screwed and I spent entire day reinstalling everything.

Well, I hope this reply will reach you :-). Now, on the topic.

> I have followed the steps on converting to HTML help
> - everything is converted, but my Contents are not,
> the .cnt file is not converted to a .hhc file - any
> ideas why not?

How are you converting your files? .cnt is not rtf format -- it's rather simple text format (see yourself). OTOH, .hhc is a special form of .htm, which uses

• and
      tags. You'll have to convert it by hand or write a little macro to automate the task by combining .cnt and .hhp (unfortunately I lost the one I used). Create a little .hhc from HTML Help Workshop (HHW) to see what it looks like.

> Once the .rtf file has been converted to .htm files
      > how I am supposed to edit them as they are full of
      > html tags?

Get yourself a decent HTML editor. We use MS FrontPage, which is WYSIWYG, and use HHW only for assembling & compiling (I'm almost HTML-illiterate and I don't quite have time to learn it).

Another piece of advice I'd give is to define [MAP] and [ALIAS] files (under HHW's "HTML API Information" button). These are .h files which enable you to establish [Number:ID:URL] mapping, e.g. an alias.h file maps ID to url:

IDH_0=EngleskiAbstractE0.htm
      IDH_1=EngleskiDMS_Power_Apllications_SystemE1.htm...

while helpid.h (map) file assigns numbers to IDs (similarly to resource.h):

#define IDH_0 1000
      #define IDH_1 1010

You can easily translate it to HelpId.fd with a find/replace so you only change calls to WinHelp with calls to HtmlHelp.

Btw, do you have HtmlHelp Fortran header?

Jugoslav
  • Jugoslav www.xeffort.com
    Bild des Benutzers Community Admin

> How are you converting your files?
    When you open HTML help there is a Wizard that will update your Win Help project to HTML Help.
    The .hpj file is converted to .hhp,
    the .rtf files are converted to .htm,
    index converted to .hhk - all automatically,
    but .cnt is NOT converted to .hhc.
    - I don't know why.

Thanks for the tip about using MS Front Page.

> Btw, do you have
    > > aders.htm" target="_blank" title="http://www.geocities.com/jdujic/fortran/headers/h
    > aders.htm">HtmlHelp Fortran header?
    No I haven't

Thanks,
    David

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.