Intel i7 processor

Intel i7 processor

In the latest INTEL processor configuration says 4 core and 8 threads.By the statement i understood it is quad core processor but i am not sure about 8 threads.Any one explain what is meant by 8 threads and how it is different from OS threads.

4 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

its called hyperthreading!

Dear all,

you can find aditional information on Intel Hyper-Threading Technology and how it relates to the number of cores shown and recognized by your software stack at

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/...?

Thanks, Rob

>>>Any one explain what is meant by 8 threads and how it is different from OS threads>>>

HT cores are logical processors with own gp registers, apic and access to XMMn/YMMn SIMD unit.Those cores are seen by OS as a processing units which are availabe for OS thread scheduling.

OS threads are like a containers which encapsulate streams of basic units of execution(machine code and data).Such a threads are represented by its own context two stacks(user and kernel mode) and various internal data structures.

Kommentar hinterlassen

Bitte anmelden, um einen Kommentar hinzuzufügen. Sie sind noch nicht Mitglied? Jetzt teilnehmen