Icl recompiles project whenever a single file is changed.

Icl recompiles project whenever a single file is changed.

Bild des Benutzers gilrgrgmail.com

Iam compiling aproject with hundredc++ files.Whenever I change a c++/h file the whole project the intel compiler recompiles the whole project.
I use:
Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, Version 12.0.1029.2010.

I toggled to m$ compiler and it compiles only the relevant files.

43 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.
Bild des Benutzers Feilong H (Intel)

Hi there,

I tried with a small project in VS2010& Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 update 4 (integration version 12.0.1029.2010). Unfortuantely, I can't reproduce the problem. Could you please upload a small test case for me?

Thank you.
--
Feilong H.
Intel Developer Support

Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools

Bild des Benutzers gilrgrgmail.com

I attached a zip file of a c++ project.
Notice that even a minor change in one of the 3 classes causes recomilation of the other 2 classes..

Anlagen: 

AnhangGröße
Herunterladen Test.zip8.11 KB
Bild des Benutzers Gadi Zadikoff

I have the exact same problem, I can also reproduce the rebuild with the sample project above

Hi gilrgrgmail.com & Gadi,

Could you please upload the file "icl.read.1.tlog"? It seems this files tracks the file names which need to be re-compiled.

Thanks,
Feilong

Bild des Benutzers gilgil

I have the same problem.
The file you have mentiones exist yet is empty.

Thank you guys. A developer in our IDE integration team is looking into this issue now. He needs to reproduce it in his system first. I'llyou know once I have an update.

Thanks,
Feilong

Bild des Benutzers msolus

I am also experiencing this problem, usingC++ Composer Update 5. I would like to stress that the issue is only present when targeting x64. I attach a simple solution having just two cpp filesand the corresponding icl.read.1.tlog files generated during 32 and 64 bit compilation. As you can see, this file is empty when the target is 64 bit.
Do you have any update ona possible fix, Feilong? I am evaluating C++ Composer and thinking of getting a student license, butafter a couple of weeks of testingI have already found two annoying bugs.

Anlagen: 

Any news regarding this bug ?
It costs me with very long compilation time and causes massive time loss..

Hi,

We reproduced this problem on one machine. Engineering team is investigating this issue. I'll keep you posted with any status update.

Thanks,
Feilong

Bild des Benutzers Jennifer J. (Intel)

Hi msolus,
do you have VS2010 SP1 installed?

From the log file it seems thatyou have Intel C++ Composer XE update5 installed.do you also have Intel Parallel Composer 2011 or Intel Parallel Studio 2011 installed too?

thanks,
Jennifer

Dear Jennifer,
I think Ihave not installedVS2010 SP1 yet. I attach you a picture reporting the version of VS2010 and the Intel products.
I installed Parallel Studio XE 2011 update 2 and then C++ Composer XE 2011 update 5 (which I believe is a more recent version than the one included in Parallel Studio XE 2011).

Anlagen: 

AnhangGröße
Herunterladen vs2010version.png126.46 KB

I installed VS2010 SP1 but this does not fix the issue. By the way, using the Visual C++ compilereverything works as expected, both in VS2010 and in VS2010 SP1.

Bild des Benutzers sukruth-v (Intel)

Hi gilgil,
If you are using VS2010 then you can check out this option:-

In VS2010 -->Tools / Options / Projects and Solutions / Build and Run
and then
choose "On run, when projects are out of date: Never build".

Then, manually build the project only where sourcecode has been edited and finally run the startup project.

Hope it will be helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Sukruth.H.V

The problem occures both with the sp1 and without it.
As so, the problem remains usingthe last build of intel composer.

Bild des Benutzers llne

I have this exact same problem. Turning on higher build verbosity (Tools:Build and Run:MSBuild Project output verbosity -> Detailed) shows that msbuild thinks the files need to be rebuilt because they aren't found in the last tlog. But the tlog is empty. I've noticed this for all of my Intel projects in VS2010. The read and write tlogs are always empty. When using cl this is not a problem, the files are filled normally as the build progresses, but not with icl.

Who is responsible for updating the tlog, msbuild or icl?

Any ideas?

there are 2 (probably) related issues:
1. when performing rebuild icl uses all cores. yet the "unwanted" rebuild uses single core and thread - thus significantly slower than a rebuild.
2. the "unwanted" rebuildproduce many time code with bugs. when perfroming rebuild the code runs correct.

Hi Sukruth.
I have tried the method you suggested - the problem remains.

Hi all,

Engineering made some progress and probably identified root cause. I'll let you know when I have more update for you.

Thanks,
Feilong

Hi all,

The problem is caused by MS security update patches. As a temporary workaround, please uninstall KB2507938 if SP1 is not installed and uninstall KB2567680 if your Windows has SP1. Engineering is working on a fix for this issue.

Please let me knowwhether this workaround works for you or not.

Thanks,
Feilong

Bild des Benutzers VADIM G. (Intel)

And don't forget to reboot your computer after you uninstalled the updates mentioned above. Otherwise the patch will continue affecting build.

Unfortunately my trial period is expired and since I'm not sure about the purchase yet I cannot try this workaround. I am curious to hear from the other users, though.

Bild des Benutzers Michael V

On Win7SP1:uninstalled KB2567680, rebooted, rebuild issue still there. Thenuninstalled KB2507938, rebooted, rebuild issue still persists. So, unfortunately, this work-around doesn't work for me...

I've uninstalled both updated - rebooted twice and the problem remains.

gilgil,Michael V, Have you checked whether the updates still present in the list of the installed updates? Windows may automatically install an update after the second reboot. That was my case. Try to uninstall both updates and reboot once.

The 1st thing i did was cancelling auto-update.
As so, I verified the 2 updates are not installed anymore after reboot.
As I wrote - the problem remaines..

Our developer is suspecting that there is another update in Windows breaks the compiler. Could you please follow the instructions below to get a list of updates you have in your Windows?

1. Download the VB script (filename: GetUpdates.vbs) attached in this blog http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2007/12/28/listing-all-installed-updates.aspx.

2. Run the script in your command line window (cmd.exe).

3. Verify that a list of updates has been written to InstalledUpdates.htm.

4. Attach InstalledUpdates.htm here.

Thanks,
Feilong

I attached the htm file.

Anlagen: 

AnhangGröße
Herunterladen InstalledUpdates.htm16.69 KB

Update KB2533623 also has this bug. So, please remove it as well.

Still not working..
Luckily I have very long waiting times between compilations to keep checking the forum ;)

Removing KB2510531 does the work.
Finally I can change single file and the project does not recompile.
I am new trying to figure out the side effects of removing that update.

Thanks for the information, Gilgil! We'll take a look at this update. Although, it's strange that this patch affects build. According to the MS bulletin, this update deals with Jscript and Vbscript scripting engine only. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-031

Bild des Benutzers Michael V

I can confirm that removing all of the suggested updates (2567680, 2507938, 2533623 and 2510531) has also worked for me. Attached is output of the suggested VB script before/after removing these updates. I definitely had to remove 251031 as well, removal of the only other three did not fix things.

Now we'll see how long I can keep the work-around going before IT forces an update/reboot on my machine...

Anlagen: 

I also wonder how the jscript has anything to d owith the recompilation problem.

Finally we have the list of updates - (2567680, 2507938, 2533623 and 2510531) - which need to be removed to workaround the issue. Two customers reported this works for them. We didn't check the last one (2510531) since it requires old version of the IE installed. Moreover, this update was excluded from the MS auto update.

Thanks,
Feilong

Hi all,

Engineering team has implemented a fix for this issue. I'll let you know when a compiler update that contains the fix is available for download.

Thanks,
Feilong

This issue has been fixed in the latest Composer XE update. You may download it at https://registrationcenter.intel.com.

Thanks,
Feilong

Bild des Benutzers kurienmathew

Is it normal that I still face the issue when using:

Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 Update 12 Package ID: w_ccompxe_2011.13.371
in
Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

You can test this on the project
XercesLib.vcproj
that can be found under
xerces-c-3.1.1/projects/Win32/VC9/xerces-all/XercesLib
in the source archive xerces-c-3.1.1.zip downloadable from the page at
http://xerces.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

Issue seen with "Debug Win32" configuration.
1>Compiling manifest to resources... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.1.7600.16385
1>
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>
1>
1>Linking... (Intel C++ Environment)
1>xilink: executing 'link'
1>LINK : .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3_1D.dll not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link
1> Creating library .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3D.lib and object .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3D.exp
1>Embedding manifest... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>
1>
1>
1>Build log was saved at "file://D:\xerces-c-3.1.1\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\obj\XercesLib\BuildLog.htm"
1>XercesLib - 0 error(s), 10 warning(s), 0 remark(s)
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Under certain conditions the build fails with the message:
1>
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage
1>
1> Version 9.00.21022.08
1>
1> ExceptionCode = C0000005
1> ExceptionFlags = 00000000
1> ExceptionAddress = 0016FCF7 (000F0000) "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\link.exe"
1> NumberParameters = 00000002
1> ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
1> ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 013AD670
1>
1>CONTEXT:
1> Eax = 4173ED48 Esp = 004FEE7C
1> Ebx = 400081C0 Ebp = 004FEEA4
1> Ecx = 013AD670 Esi = 4173EB6C
1> Edx = 004FEE94 Edi = 000FD6C0
1> Eip = 0016FCF7 EFlags = 00010246
1> SegCs = 00000023 SegDs = 0000002B
1> SegSs = 0000002B SegEs = 0000002B
1> SegFs = 00000053 SegGs = 0000002B
1> Dr0 = 00000000 Dr3 = 00000000
1> Dr1 = 00000000 Dr6 = 00000000
1> Dr2 = 00000000 Dr7 = 00000000
1>Build log was saved at "file://D:\xerces-c-3.1.1\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\obj\XercesLib\BuildLog.htm"
1>XercesLib - 1 error(s), 10 warning(s), 0 remark(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I am not sure th problem you are relating to is the one in this thread. The problem we had was full rebuild (and slow one..) no matter which file changed..

Bild des Benutzers Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý

Quote:

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

This issue has been fixed in the latest Composer XE update. You may download it at https://registrationcenter.intel.com.

Thanks,
Feilong

using Win8 x64, MSVC 2012, ICC 13.0.1 (package 2013.1.119) integrated into MSVC IDE.

Yes, the issue has been fixed. Partially. But the bug is still present when you use /MP (enable multi-processor build) switch, which boosts performance (I have thousands of .c and .cpp units as well), especially when one has contemporary multi-core CPU, which is not uncommon these days. The "/Gm" switch ("enable minimal rebuild") is ignored.

I am sorry, but conclusion is the bug was not fixed.

-- With best regards, VooDooMan - If you find my post helpful, please rate it and/or select it as a best answer where applies. Thank you.
Bild des Benutzers Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý

Quote:

VooDooMan wrote:

Quote:

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

Thanks,
Feilong

using Win8 x64, MSVC 2012, ICC 13.0.1 (package 2013.1.119) integrated into MSVC IDE.

Yes, the issue has been fixed. Partially. But the bug is still present when you use /MP (enable multi-processor build) switch, which boosts performance (I have thousands of .c and .cpp units as well), especially when one has contemporary multi-core CPU, which is not uncommon these days. The "/Gm" switch ("enable minimal rebuild") is ignored.

even more, w/o /MP switch, the link phase is still performed, when I did not touched any code! I hit F5 (run) and it is asking me for the rebuild (saying the code is out of date, which is not the case), I click "Yes", I get:

---snip---
Build started 2012-11-26 13:05:24.
InitializeBuildStatus:
Creating "x64\Debug\XXX.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
Midl:
All outputs are up-to-date.
MessageBuildingWithCompiler:
Building with Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE 13.0
ClCompile:
***** ClCompile (x64 - Intel C++)
ResourceCompile:
Link:
xilink: executing 'link'
Creating library x64\Debug\XXX.lib and object x64\Debug\XXX.exp
XXX.vcxproj -> c:\PATH\TO\XXX\x64\Debug\XXX.exe
---snip---

My only luck is this is a Debug build. But consider costly /Qipo / IL linking that takes circa 11 hours (due to swapping, since I have only 8 GiB of physical RAM, and IL compiler at link phase is eating about 7 GiBs)! When none of the files has been touched...

-- With best regards, VooDooMan - If you find my post helpful, please rate it and/or select it as a best answer where applies. Thank you.

Quote:

kurienmathew wrote:

Is it normal that I still face the issue when using:

Intel® C++ Composer XE 2011 Update 12 Package ID: w_ccompxe_2011.13.371
in
Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM

You can test this on the project
XercesLib.vcproj
that can be found under
xerces-c-3.1.1/projects/Win32/VC9/xerces-all/XercesLib
in the source archive xerces-c-3.1.1.zip downloadable from the page at
http://xerces.apache.org/mirrors.cgi

Issue seen with "Debug Win32" configuration.
1>Compiling manifest to resources... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>
1>
1>
1>LINK : .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3_1D.dll not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link
1> Creating library .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3D.lib and object .\..\..\..\..\..\Build\Win32\VC9\Debug\xerces-c_3D.exp
1>Embedding manifest... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>
1>
1>
1>XercesLib - 0 error(s), 10 warning(s), 0 remark(s)
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Under certain conditions the build fails with the message:
1>
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during IncrBuildImage
1>
1> Version 9.00.21022.08
1>
1> ExceptionCode = C0000005
1> ExceptionFlags = 00000000
1> ExceptionAddress = 0016FCF7 (000F0000) "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\link.exe"
1> NumberParameters = 00000002
1> ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 00000000
1> ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 013AD670
1>
1>CONTEXT:
1> Eax = 4173ED48 Esp = 004FEE7C
1> Ebx = 400081C0 Ebp = 004FEEA4
1> Ecx = 013AD670 Esi = 4173EB6C
1> Edx = 004FEE94 Edi = 000FD6C0
1> Eip = 0016FCF7 EFlags = 00010246
1> SegCs = 00000023 SegDs = 0000002B
1> SegSs = 0000002B SegEs = 0000002B
1> SegFs = 00000053 SegGs = 0000002B
1> Dr0 = 00000000 Dr3 = 00000000
1> Dr1 = 00000000 Dr6 = 00000000
1> Dr2 = 00000000 Dr7 = 00000000
1>XercesLib - 1 error(s), 10 warning(s), 0 remark(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Hi kurienmathew,

I don't have VS2008 in my machine. I failed to reproduce this issue with XercesLib and VS2010. It might be a known issue of VS2008. See this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948127/en-us

Thanks,
Feilong

Quote:

VooDooMan wrote:

Quote:

VooDooMan wrote:

Quote:

Feilong H (Intel) wrote:

Thanks,
Feilong

even more, w/o /MP switch, the link phase is still performed, when I did not touched any code! I hit F5 (run) and it is asking me for the rebuild (saying the code is out of date, which is not the case), I click "Yes", I get:

---snip---
Build started 2012-11-26 13:05:24.
InitializeBuildStatus:
Creating "x64\Debug\XXX.unsuccessfulbuild" because "AlwaysCreate" was specified.
Midl:
MessageBuildingWithCompiler:
Building with Intel(R) C++ Compiler XE 13.0
ClCompile:
***** ClCompile (x64 - Intel C++)
ResourceCompile:
Link:
xilink: executing 'link'
Creating library x64\Debug\XXX.lib and object x64\Debug\XXX.exp
XXX.vcxproj -> c:\PATH\TO\XXX\x64\Debug\XXX.exe
---snip---

My only luck is this is a Debug build. But consider costly /Qipo / IL linking that takes circa 11 hours (due to swapping, since I have only 8 GiB of physical RAM, and IL compiler at link phase is eating about 7 GiBs)! When none of the files has been touched...

Hi VooDooMan,

I'd love to reproduce this issue on my machine. Do you have a test case, so that I can reproduce the rebuild issue (with and without /MP)?

Thanks,
Feilong

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.