PTU, How do I select the predefined event ratio?

PTU, How do I select the predefined event ratio?

Hi, Experts,
I can see some pre-defined configuration in PTU. But I see from .vtr file that there are far more event ratios I could use. I know one way is to specify those related events manually. But how can I save those efforts to just select for my specific CPU?
And I know there would be large penalty for lots of events in VTune. Would it still be a problem for PTU?
Thanks.

7 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

PTU EBS profiles are simply event lists.

Ratios are formulas that use event values.
PTU and VTune pick up only these formulas that are applicable to the result being displayed.

If you select Window->Preferences->PTU->Sampling view and check show ratios,newly opened sampling hotspot views will contain ratio columns (similar to VTune). If you right click a hotspot and choose View Issue Details, it will bring another view that can be used to display ratio values even when ratio columns are turned off in the main view.

You can change ratios per CPU family. In the profile editing dialog above the Add... button you can see the name of event file (e.g. pmm.xml for core2, pmn.xml for corei7, etc). Just pick up and edit vtr file with appropriate name.

There is a chance that in several months there will be a new public version available. It has improved ratios support. If you are an enterprise client and participate in appropriate Intel SDP/NDA programs you are likely to get it earlier.

Thanks, Konstantin. I saw the "show ratios" check box.

One other question, yesterday I started a very long profiling work with lots of events selected. It seems PTU will run it for many times. What if I stopped it now? Will the results damaged and can I see the profiling results for those events already finished.
Example, I can see from the console that I'm in "Run 3":
Events configuration:

"DTLB_MISSES.ANY":sa=10000
"MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.L1D_LINE_MISS":sa=100000

So it seems PTU will select several events in one RUN. Then how can I know how many runs I'll need for all events I selected?

You should be able to view already collected information gracefully if you stop collection. AFAIR, depending on CPU you use and event attributes one run of regular sampling may include up to 4 events. There is no a good way to see it now before collection in the product UI. However, there is a workaround - you can run 1 sec collection with the same set of events and see how many runs it takes.

> a very long profiling work with lots of events selected

For tasks like this you can find useful the multiplexed sampling mode. It allows to collect more events per 1 run (32 or 64, do not remember the exact number for this product version). You can turn it on in the project properties. However, note that product may have some limitations on the size of raw data produced by collector (1 raw data file is produced per 1 sampling run). If you use multiplexed sampling mode with many events and for collections with big duration you should set event SAV-s (sample after value) appropriately. Project properties have SAV multiplier that helps to setup proper SAVs easier.

Mutliplexed collectionwith many events mightalso produce results that are less correct than the same event profile is used without event multiplexing (it will be improved in the next version). So you can use it until you face incorrect data or raw data limit.

>And I know there would be large penalty for lots of events in VTune. Would it still be a problem for PTU?

I did not get what you meant saying this in the 1-st post. The only thing I can say is that the more events you have the more you will have to wait for data processing and displaying.

It seems Xeon 5400 series are not listed on CPU family event ratios list?

If you are able to run sampling your CPU is recognized by PTU.
When you open profile editing dialog the current CPU is selected in the CPU combobox.
Do not be confused if it is name is different from what you expect.
I selected what you need to look at in red. pmm.xml is the event file for core2 family so ratio file for this family is pmm.vtr

Oh. Got your point.
(I was expecting to see something like "Intel Quad Core somthing 5400 series" in the selection box. )

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.