Intel Adaptive Spike-Based Solver

Intel Adaptive Spike-Based Solver

Hello,
I have a question about Intel Spike solver. I want to solve matrix ecology2 (http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/matrices/McRae/ecology2.html) from florida matrix collection using SPIKE. What kind of solving strategy (RSS, DFS, OIS) should I choose? The matrix is solved on a 48-nodes cluster with 8 cores on each node.

10 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

Hello,
The current SPIKE releaseonly has one solution strategyfor sparse systems: RSS=F, DFS=L, OIS=3. You will also need to set the mat%format to 'S' to indicate sparse input. Only CSR format is supported. (I use the mkl_dcsrcoo function in MKL or the coocsr function in SPARSKIT2 to convert matrices from the UF collection.) Take a look at section 6.5 (page 33)of the user guide for an example code showing how to use SPIKE with sparse input. Note that SPIKE is a banded solver so it may be necessary to reorder ecology2 to get good performance.

PARDISOcan solve ecology2 in less than 10 seconds (MKL 10.1, 3.0 GHz Xeon X5472). I doubt that there's enough work in this problem to scale to 384 cores.

Best regards,
Henry

Thanks for your fast reply!
I want to use exactly SPIKE for solving, so could you say me more about getting the best performance on this matrix? May be I should convert it in banded format and use other solving strategy? I used spike_adapt.exe utility for this matrix and it computed, that the best strategy for this matrix on 4, 8, 16, 32 processors is ta3.

Hello again,
The spike_adapt.exe utility assumes that your input matrix is banded and dense within the band. Since the matrix is sparse, I recommend that you reorder (e.g., using METIS) anduse a narrow-banded preconditioner as shown in the example code in Section 6.6 (page 35).

Best regards,
Henry

I havetwo more question about SPIKE: 1) what is the "eps_out"? is it misalignment mesuare (and what measure?)
and 2) what means "outer iterations"? is it BiCGStab iterations?

Can anyone help me?

Sorry for the delay. I don't know how I missed your last posts. You are correct that "outer iterations" refers to BiCGStab iterations; eps_out is the threshold for the BiCGStab residual. In other words, BiCGStab stops when this residual is reached [or the maximum number of outer iterations (nbit_out) is reached].

Best regards,
Henry

Quoting - Henry Gabb (Intel)
Sorry for the delay. I don't know how I missed your last posts. You are correct that "outer iterations" refers to BiCGStab iterations; eps_out is the threshold for the BiCGStab residual. In other words, BiCGStab stops when this residual is reached [or the maximum number of outer iterations (nbit_out) is reached].

Best regards,
Henry

thanks as well henry, cheers

live life and solve sudoku sudoku solver

Could you tell me more about what do you mean by the word "residual"? Is it a norm of residual vector (Axk-f), where xk is solution vector generated on k-th step?

Yes. That's correct.

Henry

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.