Congratulations Rick Vanner of The Game Creators, winner of $10,000 for the game Goals in the 'Best of Games' category

Congratulations Rick Vanner of The Game Creators, winner of $10,000 for the game Goals in the 'Best of Games' category

Congratulations Rick Vanner, winner of Winner of $10,000 USD for the game Goals in the Best of Games category in the Intel Atom Developer Challenge. Goals is a great way to spend some time and enjoy the beautiful game. Featuring a tournament mode, team editing, five difficulty levels and speed settings it has something for every soccer fan. It is well designed for a Nebook, with simple, very reactive controls and provides options for keyboard or trackpad inputs.
5 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

This is an issue I'd like to look into as well. For safety's sake I've always considered using the full DX9 library a 'must'. Afterall, a guaranteed working download of a silently installing product is better than even the remote possibility of runtime failure - despite the file size. But it does seem wasteful to a degree.

There is some general information on this topic lying around the net - but it'd be nice to collect some AppUp specifics. Perhaps a topic for Elements in September.

Congratulations Rick for an outstanding game, well deserved.

Indeed! Very nicely done.

No doubt about the the game and the developer.
This is one of the most 'complete' game in the store.
But I'd be more happy if some technically rich game was selected.
Since technically this game can be played in ancient machines, and we should not project that Netbook is an ancient machine.
Actually Netbook with Intel N450 is quite a decent machine with good GPU performance and even supports pixel shader 2. That means you can do normal mapping and post processing too.

Now something that I want to convey to the developer:
The demo version of Goals is about 80 MB (sorry not exact figure). But the real game after installation is just 8 MB. It also keeps the DirectX installer in the Program Files Folder. And the Store also keeps the MSI. So we are consuming 160 MB (80X2 MB) space for a game which requires only 8 MB.
My suggestion is to distribute only slim version of DirectX with only the d3dX version that you require. Because DirectX 9.0c is available inbuilt right from XP service pack 2. The best would be to use Dec 2004 version to statically link d3dX or to completely ignore d3dX (as everything can be done without it, including shaders).
I know 80 MB download is nothing, but 160MB diskspace in the Windows drive matters in the long run, if all small DirectX games require this much space. Note that user has no choice to choose the drive.

Kommentar hinterlassen

Bitte anmelden, um einen Kommentar hinzuzufügen. Sie sind noch nicht Mitglied? Jetzt teilnehmen