ADP_Initialize call from NT service fails

ADP_Initialize call from NT service fails

Hi All, My application implements an NT service. When I call ADP_Initialize, it always return ADP_NOT_AVAILABLE. AppUp Software Debugger doees not show any messages. Is it intended behavior or I am doing something wrong? The same code works well with AppUp SDK 0.9x beta, but not with SDK 1.0. Test env - VMware WS 7, Windows 7 Home Basic, AppUp SDK 1.0 Build env - MS VS2008 sp1, AppUp SDK 1.0, debug build configuration Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
19 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

Hi!

Can someone from Intel finally look at this issue? The bug is still open after more than 4 month...

Bild des Benutzers Hal

Hello,

Please try this with the latest SDK (1.1.1) available from here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/sdk

If there is still an issue after that please email us from here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/contact

Regards
Hal G.
Technical Support Team
Intel AppUp(SM) Developer Program
Intel AppUp(SM) center

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Hal,

That's exactly what I did :)

I posted the bug report on Dec 28, 2010 ref # LTK4190145799497X, ticketno:[8000172530]
and I reproduced the issue with the latest SDK (1.1.1) yesterday.

Do you think I should re-submit?

Regards,
dmka

Bild des Benutzers Hal

Dmka,

Thank you for providing the ticket nubmer. I have found it and will reescalate. My apologies for the delay on this.

Regards
Hal G.
Technical Support Team
Intel AppUp(SM) Developer Program
Intel AppUp(SM) center

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Bild des Benutzers BrianDevArch

dmka,

A few things to check in this situation:

1.) That the AppUp Debugger is running
2.) That you do not have the AppUp client installed on this computer in addition to the AppUp Debugger
3.) That you do not have any anti-virus or system monitoring tools installed that may prevent web service calls from being made
4.) That you are using the version of the AppUp Debugger than came with the AppUp SDk

Are you using the C++ or .NET AppUp SDK? I have seen cases where a developer has installed both, and re-installing the C++ version solved the issue.

Thanks BrianDevArch, see my comments below:

> A few things to check in this situation:
> 1.) That the AppUp Debugger is running
Yes, it's running. I have a simple console test application and it works as expected.

> 2.) That you do not have the AppUp client installed on this computer in addition to the AppUp Debugger
I run the app on a clean Win7 Home Basic x86 VM with AppUp SDK for Windows C/C++ 1.0

> 3.) That you do not have any anti-virus or system monitoring tools installed that may prevent web service calls from being made
I don't have any AV software, see #2

> 4.) That you are using the version of the AppUp Debugger than came with the AppUp SDk
Yes, I took the AppUp libs and headers from the test VM. The build computer is a separate machine.

> Are you using the C++ or .NET AppUp SDK?
I use only C/C++ sdk

Another observation: AddUp Debugger 1.0 and AddUp Application do not get in touch if they run in different user sessions.

Steps to reproduce:

Create two users (user1, user2)

Run AdpHelloWorld
Result: ADP_Initialize succeeds, debugger shows messages

Now switch user to user2 (user1 session will continue to run in background)

Run AdpHelloWorld
Result: FAIL: ADP_Initialize failed with error code 2, the debugger does not show anything

Just in case, adding user1 and user2 to Administrators group does not help. The noted above behavior is reproduced on both WinXP and Win7.

Dmka,

In your services properties, is it set to "Interact with the desktop"?

> In your services properties, is it set to "Interact with the desktop"?
No

dmka,

Please set that to true, and try again.

> Please set that to true, and try again.
1. My application should not do this by design.
2. That does not help anyway... The services on Win7 run in session 0, while the user (and debugger) in sesion 1,2,etc.

dmka,

What I would suggest at this point is to make a copy of your solution, and configure it as a console application (this should be fairly straightforward to do). Then try again to see of it works in this configuration when the AppUp Debugger and it are running in the same session. This should give a clear direction on whether the issue is related to sessions or something else entirely.

I will also create a simple service project and try this from one of my development machines later this evening to see if I can reproduce this issue.

BrianDevArch,

> make a copy of your solution, and configure it as a console application
I did this before. The console app works as expected if it is running in the same session with AppUp Debugger.

> I will also create a simple service project
I did the same, basing on MS service example
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb540476(VS.85).aspx
I can share the project to save you some precious time.

Alternatively you can run SDK examples using SrvAny.

Hi Brian,

Did you have a chance to take a look at this issue?

Dmka,

Please feel free to post a link to your current project here. I would be happy to review it.

http://h1.syselegance.com/U4254325/ADPTest.zip
Copy adpcore libs to $(SolutionDir)\lib\i386

Use DebugView to read debug messages
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx
Run as Administrator, Enable Capture -> Capture global Win32

Dmka,

I will have a look at this and get back to you. Thanks.

Hi Brian,

Is there any news about this issue?

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.