OpenMP question - ignoring OMP_NUM_THREADS?

OpenMP question - ignoring OMP_NUM_THREADS?

Bild des Benutzers Terry Gerald

I use Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 and Portland Group Fortran 12.1  on Windows.

I use Intel Composer_xe_2011 and Portland Group Fortran 10.x on Linux.

I have a numerical hydrodynamic model that I an running with openMP on several computers.

WINDOWS Observations  [Xeon W3570 4 core cpu]  ..

1) Intel fortran compiles and links in openMP. Code runs with openMP and yields a speedup of 1.43 with OMP_NUM_THREADS=8

2) Portland group compiles and links in openMP. Code runs with openMP and yields a speedup of 1.4 with OMP_NUM_THREADS=8

Summary: INTEL & PG BOTH WORK FINE ON WINDOWS

LINUX  Observations  - 2  machines 

1) Machine is a 4 processor AMD opteron 8360 SE with 4 cores per processor - 16 cores

A ) Intel fortran compiles and links in openMP.  Code does not run with more than one thread  with multiple OMP_NUM_THREADS values

B)  Portland group compiles and links in openMP. I can run the code with openMP and get a speedup of 1.38 with OMP_NUM_THREADS=12

2) Machine has 4  Intel Xeon 6-core Xeon E5649 cpus. - 24 cores - whoopie!

A ) Intel fortran compiles and links in openMP.  Code does not run with more than one thread

B)  Portland group compiles and links in openMP. I can run the code with openMP and get a speedup of 1.44 with OMP_NUM_THREADS=12

Summary:  BOTH MACHINES EXHIBIT A PROBLEM WITH INTEL FORTRAN

Problem with Intel Fortran on Linux:

I tried compiling and linking the code with Intel Fortran with both the dynamic openMP lib and the static openMP lib - both give just one thread running.

I have varied OMP_NUM_THREADS from 1 through 18 on the Linux Xeon system - only get one thread running.

Same behavior on the AMD system - varied OMP_NUM_THREADS from 1 through 16

Any suggestions? 

5 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.
Bild des Benutzers Tim Prince

You didn't say whether you set -omp-report or -opt-report to see whether the compiler implemented your omp parallel regions. The options are spelled differently by pgf90 and ifort; in fact, the -mp option turns off optimizations when used in ifort (but doesn't disable OpenMP).

Didn't specify -omp-report or -opt-report.

I added -omp-report to my makefile - it caused an error - looks like the compiler "thinks" I am attempting to name the executable "mp-report"

I then tried -opt-report-file - compiler generated an empty file.

Bild des Benutzers Tim Prince

Sorry, was not booted into linux at the time. Please check compiler options by ifort -help ....
-openmp-report

Yes, those option are typo-prone.

I usually set something like -opt-report-file=$*_opt.txt in Makefile rules so the file is generated automatically. An empty file means either that no compilation happened (target up to date) or nearly empty meaning you had -O0 set. Anyway it doesn't look like -openmp is engaged if you don't see it when you turn on appropriate compiler echoes.

Mea Culpa

"Anyway it doesn't look like -openmp is engaged .."

In case someone reads this from a google search...

Earlier I had a problem with using the dynamic openMP lib so I switched to using the static openMP lib.

My original makefile line:

COMPILER_OPTS = -O3 -traceback -fpp -DPARALLEL_OMP -opt-report-file opt.info -Bstatic -openmp-link=static

What it should have been

COMPILER_OPTS = -O3 -traceback -fpp -openmp -DPARALLEL_OMP -opt-report-file opt.info -Bstatic -openmp-link=static

I ASSUMED that "-openmp-link=static" would enable openMP and also do a static link -- but all it does is specify the static openMP lib!

Specifying "-openmp-link=static" does NOT enable openMP by itself!

Thanks guys, I am now running with multiple threads.

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.