Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*)

Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*)

Bild des Benutzers raoufehsadat H.

Hi,

I am trying to use IntelVtune in a Nehalem system and for all types of data collection i get the following error:

amplxe: Error: Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*). Check that the driver is running and the driver group is in the current user group list. See "Building and Managing the Sampling Driver" help topic for further details.

The system i am using ths is  a 2*6core Intel Xeon E5645. I have disabled SMT. The operating system is Linux kernel 2.6.35

Please let me know if you know anything about this error.

Thanks,

Raoofeh

12 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.
Bild des Benutzers raoufehsadat H.

Finally found the help topic mentioned in the error. problem solved !

Bild des Benutzers ZJ Z.

Hi,

I have the same problem with you,how did you solve it?  

Thanks

Bild des Benutzers Peter Wang (Intel)

Quote:

ZJ Z. wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem with you,how did you solve it?  

Thanks

1. First at all, you need to use root privilege user to install the tool. The installer will try to build vtune drivers for your system.

2. After installing the tool, you have to check if divers have been installed in the system. For example, "lsmod | grep sep3", "lsmod | grep pax", "lsmod | grep vtsspp".

3. If you haven't successfully built drivers during installing the product, go vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/sepdk/src, run such as build-driver, and ensure that you have kernel source which is corresponding to running OS. Then you can run such as insmod-sep, maybe you can specify new vtune group - for example, "insmod-sep -g vtune-group" to create a new group. If you don't use this option, the program will create default group named "vtune".

4. You can log on as none-root user when running VTune, but your user account should be in "vtune" group, for example. 

Bild des Benutzers ZJ Z.

Thank you for your explanation, I have solved the problem.

Bild des Benutzers Juliano M.

How have you solved the problem? Im facing the same problem here. Already did waht Peter told, my modules are ok.

Tks

Juliano Marcos Martins
Bild des Benutzers Peter Wang (Intel)

Quote:

Juliano M. wrote:

How have you solved the problem? Im facing the same problem here. Already did waht Peter told, my modules are ok.

Tks

The key points are :

1. Ensure that you have removed all existing vtune drivers (sep3, pax, vtsspp, apwr3) before installing new drivers.

2. If you want to create a new vtune group - if group does exist, use "groupdel" to remove it first, so it will be created by the insmod-sep. And don't forget to add your user account to this group.

I don't know what else I can help unless you provide more info.

Bild des Benutzers Tejas K.

Hey guys,

I am new to Vtune and was using it on a Windows Server 2012 to profile a driver. I am profiling the driver by running IOmeter on Vtune and source and symbols of my driver.

a. I am geting an error saying :Cannot enable Hardware Event-based Sampling: problem with the driver (sep*/sepdrv*)

b. The function names are not visible(They are being displayed as function@123 instruction level) though I have loaded the symbols and my source code 

any suggestions??

Bild des Benutzers iliyapolak

@Tejas

I gave a suggestion for how to check for pdb symbols problem.Check the other thread when you have also asked the same question.

Bild des Benutzers Jerome B.

I recently received an e-mail from Intel Registration Center suggesting I upgrade to a new version of Vtune. I did so, and immediately began having the sort of problems described in this thread. I tried reverting to the older installation, but I still got the same sort of issues. I tried rebuilding the drivers, which then required me to run various configuration scripts on my kernel source. However, that did not fix the problem. When I try to install the new drivers, I get error messages like this, for pax;

SNB-cblab04:/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2013/sepdk/src/pax # ./insmod-pax
Executing: insmod ./pax-x32_64-3.0.76-0.11-defaultsmp.ko
insmod: error inserting './pax-x32_64-3.0.76-0.11-defaultsmp.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Error:  pax driver failed to load!

You may need to build pax driver for your kernel.
Please see the pax driver README for instructions.

I ran the demsg command, and found the following;

[3456923.246817] pax: version magic '3.0.101 SMP mod_unload ' should be '3.0.76-0.11-default SMP mod_unload modversions '

3.1.101 is the version number on my Linux kernel source, and I am thinking the problem may be related to the fact that since I first installed Vtune, I have upgraded from SLES 11.2 to SLES 11.3.

Bild des Benutzers MrAnderson (Intel)

Hi Jerome B.:

If the kernel is updated, the sep and vtsspp drivers must be rebuild against the updated kernel sources/headers.  If you've installed the kernel-devel* RPMs, it should be as simple as executing the ./build-driver script (pressing Enter at each prompt to select the default) and then executing ./insmod-sep3, all as 'root'.  (You might need to specify -r to "reload", if one or more of the drivers is loaded - use 'lsmod' to view loaded kernel modules.)

Regards, MrAnderson
Bild des Benutzers Jerome B.

Update: It appears that SLES 11.3 delivers a more recent version of the kernel sources than the one I was running. Therefore, when I rebuilt the kernel, the version reported by uname -r did not match the source version. Rebooting the system fixed this, and Vtune -- er, amplxe -- is working again.

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.