I have a moderate size project that contains a number of source files (all .f90). One of those consists of a 'main' subroutine and a number of CONTAINed subroutines.
Since I had XE2011 installed, I encountered problem debugging the 'main' subroutine; eg. if I put break points in the 'main' part, or if I enter the 'main' part (via 'F11' from the line of code in another source file that calls the 'main' part), the compiler opens a separate tab say that debug info cannot be displayed. The problem is only occuring in the 'main' part of the subroutine. Source code for all the CONTAINed subroutines displays normally;
The code still runs OK and I can continue on to other parts of the program, including the internal subroutines of the 'main' part, without problem (source code displays OK). eg.
source1.f90 includes a call to 'main_sub'.
source2.f90 includes subroutine 'main_sub', which CONTAINS say 'int_sub1', 'int_sub2', 'int_sub3',etc
In debug mode, I run to a breakpoint on the line in source1.f90 that calls 'main_sub' > debugs normally (displays the source code)
Press F5 and move to a breakpoint in 'main_sub' > no source code displayed, opens tab saying that debug info not available (or words to similar effect - cannot check actual message now since compiler is currently 'broken' - other post).
Press F5 again and move to a breakpoint in say 'int_sub1' > debugs normally. Ditto for anywhere else in the program (except the main part of 'main_sub').
Program runs 'OK' in both debug and release mode, but following changes made a while back, there appears to be an error in the results produced (new code does not produce the same results as a version from a couple of years ago. Should be the same). Unfortunately, one of the suspect parts is in the part of the code that does not debug properly, making it very difficult to track down the problem.
The debug issue is 'relatively new' (last year or two - do not recall when first encountered). Certainly has been there since I had XE2011 ver8 installed & possibly before then - probably since XE2011 first installed.
Before posting here I decided I better update to the latest compiler (2013 ver3) but as posted elsewhere, it made no difference to this problem (& I subsequently appear to have broken the compiler by uninstalling 2011 ver8.