catching divide by zero

catching divide by zero

I have not been able to catch divide by zero errors in my code. I've tried many variations of settings in the project file, in debug mode. The result of a divide by zero is infinity, but I want execution to stop and report an error. I reproduced the situation with this code:

program test_divide_by_0
i = 0
z = 1.0/i
print*, z
end

This runs without reporting any error and writes out Infinity. I'm using Composer XE 2013.

11 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

Try using /traceback and /fpe:0 -- the /fpe:0 will stop the program at the point of the exception.  /traceback should tell you where it is.

Debug doesn't have to be full on.

Linda

Thanks, Linda. That works with my sample code. Unfortunately still doesn't work with my actual development code. The main difference I can think of is that the development project creates a DLL, not a console application.

I've discovered that if I insert this statement into my development code I get an error and a traceback, as desired.

real_value = 1/0

However, if I insert this statement I get infinity as the result with no error.

real_value = 1./0.

Bild des Benutzers Steve Lionel (Intel)

Add under Command Line > Additional Options:

/fpe-all:0

This enables th /fpe0 behavior for all your routines, not just from the main program.

Steve

Thank you. It works perfectly now. It seems like the /fpe0 option should apply to all routines by default, but I suppose there's a good reason for it being the way it is.

Yes there is - performance.  The code to enable trapping of floating point errors is slow and needs to be run only once, so the default is to do it in the main program. We added /fpe-all for situatioms such as yours where you don't control the main program.

As an alternative, the Fortran standard IEEE_EXCEPTIONS and IEEE_ARITHMETIC intrinsic modules allow you fine-grained control over these features. If you use these, you must compile with /fp:strict to let the compiler know you're modifying the FP environment.

Steve

That problem was discussed some time ago on Intel C++ compiler forum. If one vector A needs to be divided by vector B then a prescan for vector B could be done in order to verify that it has No any Zero elements ( some corrective logic could be also implemented ). In that case application won't do any divisions by zeros and performance won't be affected.

Sergey, if you were replying to my last comment, you're talking about something very different. I was referring to the instructions needed to change the processor floating point trap behavior - these are slow.

Steve
Bild des Benutzers Casey

This isn't so relevent to the thread, but to Sergey's comment.

Zitat:

Sergey Kostrov schrieb:

That problem was discussed some time ago on Intel C++ compiler forum. If one vector A needs to be divided by vector B then a prescan for vector B could be done in order to verify that it has No any Zero elements ( some corrective logic could be also implemented ). In that case application won't do any divisions by zeros and performance won't be affected.

Fortan has some builtin mechanisms to accomplish this without the logic you would need in C++.  For example:

where (b /= 0.)
  c = a / b
elsewhere
c = 0.
end where

Assuming a,b,c are real arrays with the same shape.  But, as Steve pointed out, this is a seperate issue from trapping floating point exceptions.

My original question had absolutely nothing to do with preventing divide by zero errors. That process is well known. Unfortunately, they still happen. My problem was that I couldn't get the compiler to detect them for me, which is something I have relied on for years with many different compilers as I maintained a large program written by a multitude of various programmers with different levels of programming skills. With Steve's suggestion the compiler now works the way I remember previous versions working.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Melden Sie sich an, um einen Kommentar zu hinterlassen.