Fortran compiler-ABAQUS interface

Fortran compiler-ABAQUS interface

I want to develop subroutines(UMAT to be precise) in ABAQUS 6.11-1.

Which versions of intel fortran compiler are compatible for this purpose?

And, Please post the link where i can get the evaluation version of the same.

12 Beiträge / 0 neu
Letzter Beitrag
Nähere Informationen zur Compiler-Optimierung finden Sie in unserem Optimierungshinweis.

Your first question is not one we can answer but rather one the providers of Abaqus must answer. We cannot speak to compatibility with our newer releases. Judging from others with a similar interest/inquiry and the app’s listed System Requirements, the application officially supports Intel Visual Fortran 10.1 or 11.1.

Other posts w/similar interest/inquiry:
what Fortran version for Abaqus 6.11?
question about the vision of abaqus and fortran
Abaqus 6.11 subroutine

You can obtain an evaluation license from the Intel® Software Evaluation Center. For Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE evaluations, pay particular attention to the note regarding the Microsoft Development product:

This product requires installation of a supported Microsoft development product. If you do not already have a supported Microsoft development product installed, you may download a free 90-day trial version of Microsoft Visual Studio* from "Microsoft".

The license you obtain may also be used with earlier versions; therefore, refer to the article Which Older Compiler Versions Are Available on Intel Registration Center? for information about available older versions and refer to link to the article about obtaining an older version of an Intel® Software Development Product for specific steps in locating and downloading older versions.

Hi kevin,

Thank you very much for posting your views on the issue.
I actually requested for the evaluation license from Intel evaluation center yesterday but, Couldn't get the mail regarding instructions for the same.
It would be great if you can post any links which will make it a lot easier.

Also, Is any version of visual studio compatible for the fortran-ABAQUS interface working?
And, I heard that the order of installation of these three also matters. Is it true? If so, please explain the same

Regards,
Yeshwanth.

I see you registered for an Eval license. In the absence of any email confirmation, try logging into the Intel Registration Center  (https://registrationcenter.intel.com) using the account credentials you created when registering and following the details in the earlier cited articles about obtaining older compiler versions. If you are obtaining the 11.1 version, for evaluation purposes, you should not require the serial number. Refer to the article What serial number to use when installing the evaluation copy of Intel® Software product for guidance.

I’m afraid I cannot answer questions about any compatible versions of Visual Studio regarding Abaqus. You need to inquire with the providers of that package. I have not been able to find where someone might obtain Visual Studio 2008 either so I do not know how one can meet the app’s requirement for this with and for use with Intel Visual Fortran 11.1. Perhaps someone reading our Forum might know. I'll see whether I can find any info too.

In terms of installing Intel Visual Fortran and Microsoft Visual Studio packages, you need to install the Microsoft Visual Studio package first and install the Intel Visual Fortran second.

Quote:

Kevin Davis (Intel) wrote:

I’m afraid I cannot answer questions about any compatible versions of Visual Studio regarding Abaqus. You need to inquire with the providers of that package. I have not been able to find where someone might obtain Visual Studio 2008 either so I do not know how one can meet the app’s requirement for this with and for use with Intel Visual Fortran 11.1. Perhaps someone reading our Forum might know. I'll see whether I can find any info too.

To clarify, I’m speaking in terms of evaluation. A Commercial or Academic (but not Evaluation or Student) purchase of the Intel Fortran compiler for Windows* includes an option for using the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell (available in specific Intel Visual Fortran downloads) which satisfies the Visual Studio requirement for Intel Fortran compiler for Windows*and likewise should also for Abaqus.

Refer to Intel® Fortran Compiler for Windows* - Required and optional Microsoft* development software for additional details.

Quote:

Quote:

To clarify, I’m speaking in terms of evaluation. A Commercial or Academic (but not Evaluation or Student) purchase of the Intel Fortran compiler for Windows* includes an option for using the Microsoft Visual Studio Shell (available in specific Intel Visual Fortran downloads) which satisfies the Visual Studio requirement for Intel Fortran compiler for Windows*and likewise should also for Abaqus.

Refer to Intel® Fortran Compiler for Windows* - Required and optional Microsoft* development software for additional details.

I expect that Abaqus includes pre-built components requiring a full Visual Studio installation for re-linking, so Visual Studio Shell provided with ifort would not work.  The instructions for your version of Abaqus should clarify this.

http://microsoft-visual-studio-2008.software.informer.com/9.0/  appears to offer the 90-day trial of VS2008 in case that is the version required by your Abaqus.

Best Reply

Hi Yeshwanth,

You could refer to this web page and follow the link to the specific Abaqus 6.11 page for the system requirements:

http://www.3ds.com/support/certified-hardware/simulia-system-information/

For Abaqus 6.11 Intel Fortran 11.1 is listed in the system requirements.  I've had very good success using IVF 11.1 with several versions of Abaqus for user subroutines like UMAT and DLOAD.  I use Visual Studio 2008 with IVF 11.1 to write test programs to run the user subroutines before linking them to an Abaqus analysis.  Visual Studio is not needed if you prefer not to install or use it.  You could edit and test your user subroutines using the IVF command line compiling if you preferred.  The Abaqus run time syntax with the "user=" option on the command line will compile and link the user subroutine to the Abaqus analysis.  I believe that it is usually recommended to install Visual Studio first so that the Fortran installer can integrate IVF into VS.

Also take a look at the Abaqus documentation (should get installed with Abaqus); go to the Start/All Programs/Abaqus 6.11/Abaqus Documentation

The "Abaqus Analysis User's Guide" is helpful in section 3.2.2 where the "user" parameter is described.  The "Abaqus User Subroutines Reference Guide" is also helpful.

Regards,

Greg

Thanks a lot kevin,greg and Tim for posting your views.

I got 31 day evaluation version of Fortran 11.1.072 from intel and Abaqus 10.1, Visual studio 2008 from external source.

Now, I interfaced both Fortran and Visual studio in the Abaqus command prompt and got a PASS result which means everything is installed and interfaced properly. Please refer to the image attached with this comment. I think the non fatal licensing error is due to me using evaluation version of fortran 11.1.072

I am working on indentation simulation and need to input UMAT subroutine to define material behavior. I am unable to figure out where to write the code. I tried opening fortran from the start menu only to see a cmd which is also attached herewith.

Please help me on this. If anyone has already implemented subroutines in either Abaqus 10.1 or 11.1, It would be great if you can guide me on this.

Regards,
Yeshwanth 

Anlagen: 

Glad to hear/see you appear to have all that's needed. The licensing message is Abaqus specific and unlikely related to the Intel compiler evaluation license. It is ulikely Abaqus could interpret fields in the Intel license and if there were an Intel license issue it would have appeared along with the compiler sign-on captured in both images. I expect someone w/Abaqus experience/knowledge can comment about the message and help w/your other Abaqus interests.

I wish you well going forward. Thanks for your patience in getting through the setup.

Kevin, Thank you very much for your time and views on this post

I read from other forums that once you get a PASS result, interfacing is done properly. So, I am not worried about the error which is not fatal and you might be right regarding it being ABAQUS specific. I need help on subroutine implementation in layman's terms. 

Again, It would be great if anyone who have already worked on UMAT or any other subroutine(s) guide me on this. Nevertheless, suggestions from anyone would be very helpful as i am still a beginner to this software.

Hi Yeshwanth,

I recommend starting with a small simple model and incrementally increasing the complexity.  For example, you could start with a small mesh with a dozen elements and choose a user subroutine to test.  If you haven't used user subroutines before, starting with DLOAD could be a good idea since it is generally simpler and easier to understand than UMAT.  You could use two meshes: one with loads applied directly and no user subroutine, and the same mesh but with the loads applied by the DLOAD user subroutine.  For the second mesh you'll need to change the loading data in the Abaqus input file; check the DLOAD command syntax for how to specify the "NU" non-uniform loading to activate use of DLOAD.  Use the DLOAD user subroutine to apply the same loading to the small test mesh to confirm that you can get the same results from both meshes.  Then make a small change to DLOAD to get a small change in the results that hopefully make sense.

I also recommend writing a "main" program to test the user subroutine outside of Abaqus.  Set up the main program to provide the required inputs to call the user subroutine, as specified in the "Abaqus User Subroutines Reference Guide", to be able to test that the user subroutine.  It can be useful to call the user subroutine inside a loop to go through a larger set of inputs for testing.

When running Abaqus with a Fortran user subroutine, you would put the Fortran routine in the same folder with the Abaqus input file.  On the Abaqus command line include the "user=" keyword with the name of the subroutine file.  Refer to the "Abaqus Analysis User's Guide" in section 3.2.2 for the "user" keyword information.  If all goes well, Abaqus will compile and link to the specified subroutine at run time.

When debugging a user subroutine is needed, you can take advantage of the file unit numbers already in use by Abaqus.  Refer to the "Abaqus Analysis User's Guide" in section 3.6.1 "Fortran unit numbers".  For example, you can write to unit=6 to send information the *.dat output data file, or to unit=7 for the *.msg message file, which you can look at with a text editor to check on what the user subroutine is doing within an analysis.

I hope this helps you get started.

Regards,
Greg

Hey greg, Thank you very much for putting your inputs. I read about UMAT subroutine and started coding it in Fortran 11.1.

But, I am totally confused as to where to use this code. When i debug the code in fortran, I got 31 errors, most of which being syntax errors.

Can you please tell me the procedure of inputting an UMAT into ABAQUS

PFA the code i am using for isotropic elasticity. Please get back to me if there are any errors in it and also any material i've to go through to understand fortran architecture.

Regards,
Yeshwanth.

Anlagen: 

Kommentar hinterlassen

Bitte anmelden, um einen Kommentar hinzuzufügen. Sie sind noch nicht Mitglied? Jetzt teilnehmen