Intel® Acceler8 Contest Description
1. How to Enter
To Enter the contest you will have to register on software.intel.com first, and then send an e-mail with the software.intel.com login name for the participants of the team and your team name.
Russia will have specific prizes for the contest:
The winning team will be rewarded with HP Pavillon DV6 laptop for each participant .
Winning teams on the 2nd to 6h position will be rewarded with ASUS EEE PC 1011 PX Netbooks for each participant.
For the rest of the contest participants:
The 2 winning teams will be rewarded with a USD1200 minimum laptop for each participant (qwerty keyboards).( 4 laptops total)
Winning teams on the 2nd to 11th position will be rewarded with ASUS 1015 PEM Netbooks for each participant. As the keyboard of the netbooks are in French, winners can decide to switch their prizes with Intel® 80Gb SSD 320 series (approximate value of USD160). ( 20 Netbooks total)
Teachers of all the winning teams will be rewarded with Intel® 80 go SSD (approximate value of USD USD160).
More prizes may be given to any participants at Intel’s organization discretion.
3. Teams and participation limitation
You can participate if you have registered this year (2011) or were registered last year (2010) in a University or school of the eligible countries. (see the 5th section of the Legal contest rules).
You can participate alone or form a team of 2 people maximum. All the participants from the team have to be registered on software.intel.com.
A participant can only submit one entry and can only be in one team.
Teams can be supervised by a teacher registered on the Academic program. To register to that program, please go here.
A teacher can supervise multiple teams but can only win 1 prize.
4. Contest organization and dates
The contest is based on solving of a parallel programming problem.
The contest will start on October 15th 2011 at 00:00 (Pacific time time, GMT - 7:00) and end on November 15th 2011 at 00:00 (Pacific time, GMT - 7:00 ).
A parallel programming problem will be put online the 15th of October at 00:00 and you will have until the 15th of November to work on it, and submit their submission.
To submit your code, you will have to send an email with the data requested.
See section 6 of the description of the contest to know the requirements.
After receiving your submission, a validation will be sent to confirm that we received it.
At the beginning of the problem, a sample code will have to be downloaded from the contest website.
5. Criteria of Winning Submission
The winners will be the participants granted with the maximum amount of points following these rules:
0-125 points for solving a problem
-Scalability, speed and accuracy of the solution.
0 - 25 points for description of the code
- description of the problem to be solved, which may include description of the serial algorithm, explanation of it, and what you did to solve the problem – 25 points ( Text document , 100 words minimum, 300 words maximum, language accepted : Russian, French, English)
0-25 points per team Bonus points for the social aspect:
Points will be allowed by the community manager for participation on software.intel.com forums and communities: Articles or blog will be awarded 10 points each whereas a useful forum post will be awarded by 1 point. These points will be granted at the Community manager’s discretion.
6. Creation, environment and submission
The competition will be limited to developments on Linux* environment.
The Many Core Machine Testing Lab used for testing has an environment consisting of a Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL 5.4, kernel 2.6.18-194.11.4.el5) but that particular distribution is subject to change.
Intel® C++ Compiler Professional Edition for Linux
Intel® VTune™ Amplifier XE
Intel® Thread Checker
Intel ®Threading Building Blocks,
Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Intel® Math Kernel Library and GNUcompilers*)
All submissions should run on this MTL environment or they will be considered as invalid.
Use of other external libraries is prohibited.
In the email, you will have to send an archive with the following minimum requirements:
- A makefile
- a Readme for the description of the code which will be used for scoring: description of the problem to be solved, which may include description of the serial algorithm, explanation of it, and what you did to solve the problem )
- your code
And the launch script (environnement variables ...)
The team name and Intel® SN names of all the teammates should be mentioned in the email in order to be validated as well as your country.
After receiving your submission, a reply will be sent by the local team to confirm that we received it.
To validate your submission, you will have to copy your readme in an Article on the Intel® SN.
This article will not be published by the community Manager until the announcement of the winners of the contest..
7. Selection of the Winner(s)
Winners will be determined by an Intel jury composed by the Community Managers and Intel specialists in parallel programming through the following procedure:
- the solution will be tested on the MTL machine ( a 40 core machine)
- the solution will be tested on a local machine by a parallel programming specialist from Intel.
Only 1 submission per team is allowed. This submission can be edited via resending the new one to the contest email until the 15th of November 2011.
8. List of Winner(s)
Approximately 1 month following the submission deadline the winners will be announced.
The winners will be the top teams (or individual) with the highest point total, based on the above stated criteria. All decisions by the judges will be final. The winners will be notified by e-mail within seven days of the selection. All prizes will be awarded within six weeks of the date the contest competition closes. A list of individual problem winners will be posted on the contest Winners Page and will be available no later than 2 weeks after winner selection.
All the winning solutions and write-ups may be posted on the contest website and will be available approximately two weeks after each winner has been selected.
9. Delivery of the Prizes to the Prize Winner(s)
Delivery of the prizes will be at the latest 6 weeks after the winner’s announcement.
After the e-mail announcement of the winners, the winners have to contact the local Intel teams to provide the address where the prizes will be delivered. If a prize winner doesn’t contact Intel within 5 weeks after the announcement, his prize will not be delivered.
If you win a prize, you will have to give your full address and contact name in order to be able to receive the prize.
Intel® ACCELER8 Contest Rules
Intel® Acceler8 Contest Rules
2. You are eligible to participate in the contest if you have registered at software.intel.com.
3. No purchase necessary. Purchase does not increase your chance of winning. Void wherever prohibited.
4. You must speak, read and understand English and you must be aged 18 years or over or you must obtain the consent of your parents or legal guardian before you participate in the contest. If you apply to register for the contest, if you contribute to the contest or software.intel.com, once you are registered or if you accept any contest prizes, you accept these rules.
The contest is open to residents of the European + Africa continents residents + CIS Countries
All the local laws are applicable to this contest.
6. We may refuse your contribution for any good reason.
7. Intel provides you with access to a variety of resources on software.intel.com community, including communication forums, documentation, download areas, code samples, videos, blogs, articles and contests (the “resources”).
8. You agree to submit contributions to the contest (“contributions”) under the following conditions:
A. Intel does not claim ownership of your contributions to the contest in form of sample code, content, videos, articles or any other contributions you submit.
B By submitting your contributions, you are granting Intel and its affiliated companies the following worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, unconditional, fully paid-up rights:
(1) to make, have made, use, copy, reproduce, modify, and create derivative works of the contributions,
(2) to publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute (directly and indirectly through multiple tiers), license, offer to sell and sell, rent, lease, or lend copies of the contributions (and derivative works thereof),
(3) to sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties, and
(4) to publish your name or alias in connection with this contest and your contributions for marketing and promotional purposes worldwide in any and all forms of media, whether now known or hereafter devised .
C. Your contributions to the contest will be available to other participants and to ensure they are safe and freely usable by other participants, you warrant that:
• you own or otherwise have all rights necessary for you to provide the contributions and grant the rights described above and you do not disclose any information which would constitute a violation of a confidentiality obligation;
• your contributions do not contain any viruses, worms, spy ware, or other components or instructions that are malicious, deceptive, or designed to limit or harm the functionality of a computer; and
• your contributions are not subject to license terms that require any software or documentation incorporating or being derived from your contributions to be licensed to others.
D. You further agree and warrant that you shall not submit any contribution:
• that is known by you to be false, inaccurate or misleading;
• that shows another person but yourself or an image created by another person if you submit any photos;
• that infringes any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy;
• that violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation (including, but not limited to, those governing export control, consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination or false advertising);
• that is, or may reasonably be considered to be, defamatory, libelous, hateful, racially or religiously biased or offensive, unlawfully threatening or unlawfully harassing to any individual, partnership or corporation;
E. Apart from prizes offered as part of the contest, no monetary compensation will be paid for any of your contest contributions.
9. Intel is not responsible for contest entries not received due to lost, failed, delayed or interrupted connections or miscommunications, or other electronic malfunctions. Intel is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by you or any other persons or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest.
10. You may be required to sign and return releases of liability, declarations of eligibility, and where lawful, publicity consent agreements, within five (5) days of acknowledged notification. If minors are allowed to enter and a prize is won by a minor, all required documentation must be signed by the parent/legal guardian. If a selected potential winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible (under these rules or due to a failure to comply with any of the other applicable policies, licenses, rules, and terms of service, fails to claim a prize, or fails to timely return the completed and executed releases/agreements as required), prize may be forfeited and an alternate potential winner may, at Intel’s discretion, be selected. Physical prizes awarded for the winning contributions will be sent to participants within six (6) weeks from the date of the notification email or confirmation of the winning participant’s physical address, whichever is later.
11. Prizes are personal to the participant submitting the winning contribution and cannot normally be transferred. All prizes are subject to availability and they may change at any time and Intel may award substitute prizes of equal or greater value. A cash alternative is not available. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
12. The winner accepts responsibility for all federal, state and local taxes and fees in connection with the prizes. The winner shall be solely responsible to obtain all permissions and authorizations to collect and receive the prize in accordance with the laws of the participant’s country of residence. This contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law, and subject to applicable federal, state provincial and local laws. If the winner is a resident of a country in Latin America, cash prizes will be replaced by goods and/or services of equal value in Intel’s sole discretion.
13. Acceptance of the prize will constitute permission to use winner’s name and/or likeness for promotional purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
14. Intel does not provide any warranty on the prizes. To the fullest extent allowable by law, Intel specifically disclaims any representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the prizes, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and implied warranties arising from course of dealing or course of performance.
15. We may, on notifying you, immediately suspend or terminate your rights, if you breach these rules or if we reasonably believe that you have submitted a contribution in violation of these rules.
16. Intel reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the contest at any time for any reason.
17. You can withdraw your contribution at any time by notifying us. If a contribution is withdrawn your rights to win a prize in this contest are lost.
18. These rules apply to your contribution and the resources, unless we provide any items to you under more specific terms, in which case those more specific terms will apply to the relevant items. We may make changes to these rules at any time without notice to you. The most current version of the rules can be reviewed on the website. Contributing to the contest or accepting prizes will constitute acceptance of the revised rules.
19. Our only responsibilities with respect to the contest are set out in these rules. These rules prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials.
20. For any feedback or questions regarding the contest or the prizes you can contact Intel by sending an email or by participating in the contest discussion forum.
Anthony.email@example.com and http://software.intel.com/fr-fr/forums/221/
21. If Intel improperly denies you any prizes, Intel's entire liability and your sole and exclusive remedy will be limited to a distribution of the equivalent amount of prizes as set forth above. By participating in the contest, you waive any and all rights to bring any claim or action related to such matters in any forum beyond one (1) year after the first occurrence of the kind of act, event, condition or omission upon which the claim or action is based.
22. If for any reason this contest is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Intel which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, Intel reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry or voting process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
23. Intel assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries. Intel is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Intel on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this contest or downloading any materials in this contest.
24. The promoter of this contest is Intel. The contest is administered by: Intel Corporation SAS, 2 rue de Paris, 92196 Meudon.
Intel is a trademark of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and other countries.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
© 2011, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.