1. What is Intel® IT Director?
Intel® IT Director is a simple application delivering Intel® vPro technology-based platform benefits to help address key IT security, data protection and network health concerns of small businesses. Intel® IT Director enables configuration of Intel® vPro technologies and provides central monitoring and alerting on the status of those technologies and vital system health metrics. Designed for the IT novice, Intel® IT Director helps bring the benefits of seemingly complex technologies to any small business.
2. How does Intel® IT Director benefit my business?
Intel® IT Director provides a simplified approach to PC manageability for small business with non-technical IT users. Intel® IT Director effectively and efficiently monitors your network of PC's:
a) Simplifies configuration and manageability of your PC's in the network by leveraging Intel® vProTM technology.
b) Enables you to explore and monitor computers on your network using a UI based dashboard. Provides early warnings from the monitoring dashboard for policy violations on any computer in the network.
3. What are the features of Intel® IT Director?
Intel® IT Director v1.1 includes the following features:
- Hardware and Software Asset Monitor - Monitors hardware and software assets
- USB Blocking - Blocks selected USB devices and monitors violations
- Hard Drive Backup and Restore - Monitors presence of a backup application
- Security Center - Monitors Windows Security Center settings
- Power-on Monitor - Tracks when computers on the network are turned on
- Hard Drive Free Space - Monitors computers with low hard drive space
- Set User Privileges - Configures features available to network users
4. What are the system requirements?
- The Intel® IT Director application ,"itdirector.exe", requires an Intel® Core™2 Processor with vPro™ Technology, with the Intel® Q45 or Q35 Express Chipset
- The Intel® IT Director configuration tool, "itdirectorconfig.exe", requires no special hardware
- Windows* XP Professional 32-bit with SP2 or SP3
- Windows* XP Professional 64-bit with SP2
- Windows Vista* Ultimate 32-bit or 64-bit, with no SP or with SP1
- Windows Vista* Enterprise 32-bit or 64-bit, with no SP or with SP1
- Windows Vista* Business 32-bit or 64-bit, with no SP or with SP1
5. Where can I get Intel® IT Director?
Visit: http://www.intel.com/support/go/itdirector.htm or talk to your reseller?
6. What type of support is available for Intel® IT Director?
Contact the local Intel Customer Support office. More information is available at: http://www.intel.com/support/go/itdirector.htm
7. How can I get more information on Intel® IT Director?
Please refer to the following documentation posted on the website: http://www.intel.com/support/go/itdirector.htm
Intel® IT Director User's Guide
Intel® IT Director Getting Started Guide
Intel® IT Director Product Brief
Intel® IT Director Animation Video
Intel® IT Director Release Notes
8. Is Intel® IT Director compatible with my existing computers?
Yes. Intel® IT Director can monitor any client computer. The configuration steps for vProTM and non-vProTM systems are slightly different but the Getting Started guide includes instructions for configuring Intel® IT Director on both types of computers. View the Getting Started guide at /en-us/articles/it-director
NOTE: Intel® IT Director will install only on platforms with Intel® vPro™ Technology and with the Intel® Q45 or Q35 Express Chipset. However, the utility can manage any client system in the network.
9. Aren't ISVs already supporting some Intel® IT Director Capabilities and if so, won't Intel® IT Director compete with them?
No. Intel® IT Director is targeting an under served small business market segment. Intel® IT Director exposes unmanaged businesses to value added usages that will as a result present a new business opportunity to ISV's. Intel® IT Director is not being offered for revenue from end users and does not provide "console" level capabilities like remote remediation.
10. Why is Intel releasing Intel® IT Director?
Intel® IT Director is targeting an underserved small business market segment. The software application will simplify configuration and manageability of monitoring PC's on your network using platform technologies that are otherwise very complex or too technical to the end user.
11. What is the licensing model?
Intel® IT Director user license is available at /en-us/articles/it-director. There is no charge for this utility.
12. How can I troubleshoot my network?
Refer to the troubleshooting section in the Intel® IT Director User's Guide. For additional help please see Q6.
13. Will Intel add more capabilities to Intel® IT Director in the future?
Intel is in the planning for additional releases of Intel® IT Director. Intel plans to add new features that shall utilize new Intel technologies thereby enhancing the value of the product to all customers.
14. Does Intel® IT Director work with both desktops and notebooks?
Intel® IT Director is supported only on desktops for v1.x. Support for notebook will come with the mobile platform in 2009.
15. What is new in Intel® IT Director v1.1?
Intel® IT Director has added support for Intel® Q35 Express Chipset. This means that Intel® IT Director will install on Intel® vPro™ Technology based platform that have either of Intel® Q45 or Q35 Express Chipset.
16. Does Intel® IT Director support other languages?
Yes. Software application supports English, Russian, French International, Portuguese (Brazil) and German.