Download and review the presentation and collection of documents listed below to learn how you can enable your software to take advantage of the capabilities in the Intel Core i7.
The next generation micro architecture's performance and power management innovations include:
- Dynamically managed cores, threads, cache, interfaces and power
- Intel® Hyper-Threading technology for enabling a more energy efficient means of increasing performance for multi-threaded workloads. The next generation micro architecture's enables running two simultaneous threads per core - an amazing eight simultaneous threads on the Intel Core i7 quad-core platform
- Innovative extensions to the Intel® Streaming SIMD Extensions 4 (SSE4) that center on enhancing XML string and text processing performance
- Superior multi-level cache, including shared L3 cache. o New high-end systems architecture that delivers from two to three times more peak bandwidth and up to four times more realized bandwidth (depending on configuration) as compared to today's Intel® Xeon™ processors.
- Performance-enhances dynamic power management. For developers, this means improved performance and energy-efficiency for existing software, and the opportunity to further optimize software to take full advantage of Intel SSE4.2 and the microarchitecture enhancements available in Nehalem.
Check out the articles and links below to learn more about the Intel Core i7 Platform and Intel SSE4. Learn how they will help you create applications with superior performance and energy-efficiency.
Introduction to Intel® Core i7
Introduction to Core i7 Audio/Video presentation that introduces the new features of the Intel Core i7 processor family and the Intel Core i7 platform. (Requires Flash)
First the Tick and Now the Tock: Next generation Intel® Microarchitecture This presentation introduces the Nehalem microarchitecture
Intel® Quick Path Architecture A new system architecture for unleashing the performance of future generations of Intel® multi-core
Developing Software for the Intel® Core i7 processor Family
These whitepaper introduces the new dynamically and design scalable microarchitecture that rewrites the book on energy efficiency and performance
Intel® SSE4 Programming Reference Reference documentation describing all of the Intel® SSE4 instructions including the new SSE4.2 instructions introduced with the Intel Core i7 processor family.
Motion Estimation with Intel® SSE4 This whitepaper describes how motion estimation algorithms can be optimized using Intel SSE4 instructions.
Increasing Memory Throughput with Intel® SSE4 Streaming Load This whitepaper describes the Intel SSE4 Streaming Load instruction and how it can be utilized in applications to improve memory I/O throughput.
Accelerating XML Processing with Intel SSE4.2 to Improve Business Solutions This whitepaper introduces the Intel® XML Software Suite, and demonstrates how SSE4.2 can be used to accelerate XML processing as much as 20 percent or more
"Intel Instruction Set Architecture Leadership 2009 and Beyond" Presentation from IDF 2008 that discusses the new SSE4.2 instruction in Intel Core i7 processors.
Tuning your application for the Intel Core i7 processor: This presentation contains the best-known methods for maximizing performance of your software for the Next Generation Core i7 microarchitecture (Nehalem) family. It discusses tuning guidelines with Intel® Hyper Threading Technology, Memory Bandwidth, and Cache utilizations, pluss code generation optimizations for Nehalem that will be available in the upcoming Intel Compiler. (Requires Flash)
Need more information or support in enabling your software for the Intel® Core i7 processor Family
The Intel Developer Zone has two forums to address developer questions for the Intel Core i7. Both the Parallel Programming and Multi-Core CPU architecture forums provide direct access to the Intel engineering team and the software developers working with the newest Intel Technology. Post a question or share your expertise today.
Check out the Multi-Core Software Blogs for the latest opinions and feedback from engineers working with Multi-Core architecture and developing Parallel Application.
Check out this quick video to see what Software Companies are saying about the Intel Core i7 processor.