2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest Description
1. How to Enter
The 2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest, runs from March 29, 2013 12:01 AM (U.S. Pacific Time) to June 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM (U.S. Pacific Time). The contest is to encourage game developers from eligible countries to create innovative playable game demos and compete for the chance to win exciting cash prizes and achieve greater exposure in the gaming industry.
Contest winners in the major prize categories may also be given the opportunity to turn their game demos into fully playable game titles and sign a Steam®** online gaming platform commercial distribution contract with Valve Corporation* at Valve Corporation’s sole discretion.
Target System Specifications: Entries competing in the contest must install and run on a Microsoft* Windows 8, 64-bit operating software and DirectX* 9.0c or DirectX* 10.1 software with
- Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i5 processor
- Intel® HD 4000 Graphics
- 4GB DDR3-1333 memory
Submissions will be accepted for playable PC game demos from the contest start to the demo submission deadline defined below. Playable game demos of fully completed game titles are allowed as long as the title or demo has not been released for sale commercially on PC at the time of submission. Only game demos that can be installed and are playable on test platforms that use the target system specifications above will be eligible for judging. These demos will be judged in the following contest categories:
- 1 (one) Grand Prize Category :
- Game of the Year – Most Innovative
- 5 (five) Game Genre Prizes in following Categories:
- Best Puzzle/Physics Game
- Best Platformer Game
- Best Adventure / Role Playing
- Best Action Game
- Best Game – “Open Genre” (game demo that does not fit into above 4 genres)
- 5 (five) Skills & Craft Prizes in following Categories:
- Best Art Design
- Best Sound
- Best Game with 3D Graphics
- Best Character Design
- Best Use of Game Physics
Participants must complete the online web registration form at the 2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest website (www.intel.com/software/LevelUp2013) including a link and download instructions for the game demo (with optional screen shots and/or videos) and submit it electronically by the deadlines stated below. The participants will receive a confirmation email after each submission. Participants can submit multiple game demos.
Key contest deadlines are below. All deadlines will occur at 11:59 PM, U.S. Pacific Standard Time (PST).
- Contest Registration Opening: Participants can register for the contest and start submitting game demos starting March 29th, 2013.
- Game Demo Submission Deadline: All playable game demos and supporting content (screenshots, videos) must be submitted by June 6, 2013 otherwise their contribution will not be reviewed by the judges and they will not be eligible for prizes.
Contest winners will receive prizes as outlined below. All winners and their contributions, including the demo version of their gaming application, may be featured on any Intel.com properties and on 3rd party websites. Winning game demos may also be featured on the Steam®** online gaming platform.
Participants can win in multiple categories except for the grand prize and game genre categories. An individual game demo can win the prize package in only one (1) of the game genre categories, consistent with the genre of the demo they submit.
- Grand Prize Category: Professional/ Independent and student game developers who submit playable game demos that meet submission requirements and are selected by the contest judges will be eligible to win the “Game of the Year” grand prize category.
- “Game of the Year” grand prize winner will receive:
- A USD 5.000,00 cash prize
- Inclusion of their game demo in the Steam®** DEMOS page.
- The opportunity to turn their game demo into a full playable game title and sign a Steam®** online gaming platform commercial distribution contract with Valve Corporation*. This will be offered to the winner but is subject to negotiation until both Valve Corporation* and the winner are in agreement.
- Game Genre Prize Categories: All game developers who submit playable game demos that meet submission requirements and are selected by contest judges as winners in one of the Game Genre Prize Categories are eligible for the following prize package:
- A USD 3.000,00 cash prize
- Inclusion of their game demo in the Steam®** DEMOS page.
- Skills & Craft Categories: All game developers who submit playable game demos that meet submission requirements and are selected by contest judges as winners in one of the Skills & Craft Categories are eligible for the following prize package:
- A USD 3.000,00 cash prize
- Inclusion of their game demo in the Steam®** DEMOS page.
- “Game of the Year” grand prize winner will receive:
3. Criteria of Winning Submission:
- Grand Prize Category: Winner will be selected by the panel of judges based on overall creativity, visual quality, entertainment value, use of touch and sensor technology, game performance (as measured by frames per second) and fun with a particular focus on innovation, using a testing platform with similar specifications to the target system requirements stated in section 1 of this document.
- Game Genre Categories: Winner for each game genre category will be selected by the panel of judges creativity, innovation, visual quality, entertainment value, use of touch and sensor technology, game performance (as measured by frames per second) and fun, that is consistent with the expectations for each game genre. The judges will use a testing platform with similar specifications to the target system requirements stated in section 1 of this document. A single game demo can win the prize package in only one (1) of the game genre categories, consistent with the genre of the demo they submit.
- Skills & Craft Categories: The categories for additional consideration by the panel of judges are listed below. Only one (1) game demo will be chosen as a winner in each Judge’s Choice category. But a game demo can win in multiple Judges’ Choice categories. The prizes will be awarded to a qualifying entry purely at the judging panel's discretion.
- Best Art Design – will be awarded to the game demo with the best visual quality and visual creativity (e.g., creative interpretations of game scenes).
- Best Sound – will be awarded to the game demo with the best audio quality in music and sound effects (e.g., use of game positional audio, multi-layered audio, etc.)
- Best Game with 3D Graphics – will be awarded to the game demo with the best visual representation of 3D game objects (e.g., most photo-realistic rendering)
- Best Character Design – will be awarded to the game demo with the best representation (visual quality, creativity, movement) of a game character/s.
- Best Use of Game Physics – will be awarded to the game demo with the best simulation of physics in its game play (e.g. near-realistic collisions between game objects) .
4. Selection of the Winner(s)
Odds of Winning: Odds of winning depend on the quantity of the submitted playable game demos based on the criteria listed above.
For Major Prize Categories: A panel of screeners will play and review all submitted game demos on the testing platform for this contest. The screeners will select five (5) finalists in each of the Game Genre Categories for the panel of judges to evaluate. Judges will then make their selection of the winners for each prize based on the criteria stated above. All decisions of the judges are made at the judges’ sole discretion and are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
5. List of Winner(s)
The winners for the grand prize, game genres, and judges’ choice/skills/craft categories will be notified by email and/or telephone by July 26, 2013.
The winner’s names will be published by Intel on the 2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest website and in other program-related communications. Prize winners will be notified based on contact information supplied by Participants, the accuracy of which information is the responsibility of the Participants. In the event a Participant cannot be contacted as determined in the sole discretion of Intel, or a winner rejects a Prize, an alternative winner will be identified.
6. Delivery of the Prizes to the Prize Winner(s)
How to Claim Your Prize: Winners in the main prize categories will be contacted by an Intel representative by July 26, 2013. The winner must meet all eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Contest Rules to qualify for the prize. Each prize winner must complete eligibility and liability/publicity release or the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Winners will also be asked to complete an affidavit certifying that they own the intellectual property (IP) of the winning game demos.
Cash prizes will be delivered as a check to the winner by secure mail from the Intel representative. An email communication will be sent by a representative from Valve* Corporation to specify the requirements and the process for the commercial distribution contract negotiations.
2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest Rules
- You are eligible to participate in the contest if you have registered with the Intel® Developer Zone at www.intel.com/software or if you have registered for the contest. Participants must complete the online web registration form at the 2013 Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest website (www.intel.com/software/LevelUp2013).
- No purchase necessary. Purchase does not increase your chance of winning. Void wherever prohibited.
- You must speak, read and understand English and you must be aged 18 years or over or you must obtain the consent of your parents or legal guardian before you participate in the contest. If you apply to register for the contest, if you contribute to the contest once you are registered or if you accept any contest prizes, you accept these rules.
- The contest is open to participants from the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Macau, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, USA. All national and local laws and regulations of the resident’s country of residence apply. Residents of countries under U.S. embargo are not eligible to enter. The contest is void wherever it is restricted or prohibited by law.
- Intel may refuse your contribution for any reason.
- Intel provides you with access to a variety of resources on the Intel® Developer Zone including communication forums, documentation, download areas, code samples, videos, blogs, articles and contests (the “resources”).
- You agree to submit contributions to the contest (“contributions”) under the following conditions:
- Intel does not claim ownership of your contributions to the contest in form of game demos, sample code, content, videos, articles or any other contributions you submit.
- By submitting your contributions, you are granting Intel and its affiliated companies the following worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, unconditional, fully paid-up rights:
(1) to publicly perform or display, broadcast, transmit the contributions in whole or in part, for promotional and marketing purposes worldwide in any and all forms of media, whether now known or hereafter devised, and to distribute (directly or indirectly through multiple tiers) the contributions to Intel affiliates, its marketing agencies and to third parties for these purposes, and
(2) to publish your name or alias in connection with this contest and your contributions for marketing and promotional purposes worldwide in any and all forms of media, whether now known or hereafter devised .
- Your contributions to the contest will be available to other participants and to ensure they are safe and freely usable by other participants, you warrant that:
- you own or otherwise have all rights necessary for you to provide the contributions and grant the rights described above and you do not disclose any information which would constitute a violation of a confidentiality obligation; students are responsible for verifying that they own the intellectual property (IP) for their game demo and not their university or other institution of higher education.
- your contributions do not contain any viruses, worms, spy ware, or other components or instructions that are malicious, deceptive, or designed to limit or harm the functionality of a computer; and
- your contributions are not subject to license terms that require any software or documentation incorporating or being derived from your contributions to be licensed to others.
- You further agree and warrant that you shall not submit any contribution:
- that is known by you to be false, inaccurate or misleading;
- that shows another person but yourself or an image created by another person if you submit any photos;
- that infringes any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary rights or rights of publicity or privacy;
- that violates any law, statute, ordinance or regulation (including, but not limited to, those governing export control, consumer protection, unfair competition, anti-discrimination or false advertising);
- that is, or may reasonably be considered to be, defamatory, libelous, hateful, racially or religiously biased or offensive, unlawfully threatening or unlawfully harassing to any individual, partnership or corporation;
- Apart from prizes offered as part of the contest, no monetary compensation will be paid for any of your contest contributions.
- As a condition to participation in the contest and receipt and acceptance of the Prizes, a Participant may, in Intel's sole discretion, be required to complete, sign and return a Personal Release Form (PRF) or Promotional Material Release (PMR) or other similar form. A PRF or PMR will include consent by winner for Intel, and those acting under its control, to use a winner's name, and pictures and description of winner’s winning submission and distribute the winning game demo worldwide, for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without further compensation. Permission is specifically granted for Intel to promote the winning submission in perpetuity in any medium it may see fit including, but not limited to, website, television, radio and/or printed materials.
- Intel is not responsible for contest entries not received due to lost, failed, delayed or interrupted connections or miscommunications, or other electronic malfunctions. Intel is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by you or any other persons or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest.
- You may be required to sign and return releases of liability, declarations of eligibility, and where lawful, publicity consent agreements, within five (5) days of acknowledged notification. If minors are allowed to enter and a prize is won by a minor, all required documentation must be signed by the parent/legal guardian. If a selected potential winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible (under these rules or due to a failure to comply with any of the other applicable policies, licenses, rules, and terms of service, fails to claim a prize, or fails to timely return the completed and executed releases/agreements as required), prize may be forfeited and an alternate potential winner may, at Intel’s discretion, be selected. Physical prizes awarded for the winning contributions will be sent to participants within six (6) weeks from the date of the notification email or confirmation of the winning participant’s physical address, whichever is later.
- Prizes are personal to the participant submitting the winning contribution and cannot normally be transferred. All prizes are subject to availability and they may change at any time and Intel may award substitute prizes of equal or greater value. A cash alternative is not available. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
- The winner accepts responsibility for all federal, state and local taxes and fees in connection with the prizes. The winner shall be solely responsible to obtain all permissions and authorizations to collect and receive the prize in accordance with the laws of the participant’s country of residence. This contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law, and subject to applicable federal, state provincial and local laws. If the winner is a resident of a country in Latin America, cash prizes will be replaced by goods and/or services of equal value in Intel’s sole discretion.
- Acceptance of the prize will constitute permission to use winner’s name and/or likeness for promotional purposes without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
- Intel does not provide any warranty on the prizes. To the fullest extent allowable by law, Intel specifically disclaims any representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the prizes, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and implied warranties arising from course of dealing or course of performance.
- We may, on notifying you, immediately suspend or terminate your rights, if you breach these rules or if we reasonably believe that you have submitted a contribution in violation of these rules.
- Intel reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the contest at any time for any reason.
- You can withdraw your contribution at any time by notifying us. If a contribution is withdrawn your rights to win a prize in this contest are lost.
- These rules apply to your contribution and the resources, unless we provide any items to you under more specific terms, in which case those more specific terms will apply to the relevant items. We may make changes to these rules at any time without notice to you. The most current version of the rules can be reviewed on the www.intel.com/software/LevelUp2013 website. Contributing to the contest or accepting prizes will constitute acceptance of the revised rules.
- Our only responsibilities with respect to the contest are set out in these rules. These rules prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials.
- For any feedback or questions regarding the contest or the prizes, you can contact Intel by sending a message at http://software.intel.com/en-us/contact/ or by participating in the contest discussion forum at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/levelup2013.
- If Intel improperly denies you any prizes, Intel's entire liability and your sole and exclusive remedy will be limited to a distribution of the equivalent amount of prizes as set forth above. By participating in the contest, you waive any and all rights to bring any claim or action related to such matters in any forum beyond one (1) year after the first occurrence of the kind of act, event, condition or omission upon which the claim or action is based.
- If for any reason this contest is not capable of running as planned due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Intel which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, Intel reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry or voting process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
- Intel assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries. Intel is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or telephone lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Intel on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in this contest or downloading any materials in this contest.
- The promoter of this contest is Intel. The contest is administered by:
2200 Mission College Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95052 USA
Intel is a trademark of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and other countries.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
**Steam and the Steam logo are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
© 2013, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
 Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Macau, Mexico, New Zealand, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, USA.
Employees of Intel Corporation and Valve Corporation, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and the immediate families of each may not enter. This limitation is void where prohibited.