Get Ground-breaking HEVC Video Performance, Density & Quality
We are proud to announce the release of Intel® Media Server Studio 2017! This release provides:
- New processor support
- New OS support
- New Intel® Media SDK features, such as hardware-accelerated HEVC decode/encode, MJPEG encode, and GPU hang reporting/recovery
- New Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications features including support for the OpenCL™ 2.0 API
- Professional Edition only - New Intel® VTune™ Amplifier features to analyze GPU media applications
Deliver faster video processing solutions with higher density and quality using Intel Media Server Studio. The new Community and Essentials Editions enable hardware-accelerated encode/decode for up to 18 AVC or 8 HEVC streams at 1080p 30 frames per second (FPS) or 2 HEVC streams at 3840x2160 30 FPS on Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1500 v5.
Together, Intel Media Server Studio products enable Intel® processor-based platforms to deliver high performance media processing for cloud, comms, and video service providers. They provide a foundation for you to innovate for 4K/UHD and new immersive experiences, such as 360 degree video or virtual reality.3
- See Media Server Studio 2017 in action at IBC in Amsterdam, Sept 9-13 in Hall 5/Booth #B65.
- Developers, attend a free webinar on Oct. 27 on getting started using the 2017 edition.
- The Community and Essentials editions are available today.
- Learn more about the details below.
Details about 2017 Community and Essentials Edition Release
New processor support
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1500 v5 Product Family Product Brief
- Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1200 v5 Product Family Product Brief
- Intel® 6th Generation Core™ Processors
New hardware acceleration is available for processors above with processor graphics. The processor graphics/GPU technology in this processor generation is sometimes called Gen9.
New OS Support
The supported Gold OS moves from CentOS 7.1.1503 to 7.2.1511.
Generic installs move from being based on the 3.14.5 kernel to the 4.4 kernel from www.kernel.org.
New Intel® Media SDK features
New hardware-accelerated codecs
- Hardware-accelerated HEVC encode and decode is now available in the Community edition for the processors listed above. This is in addition to the software and GPU-accelerated plugins available in the Professional Edition.
- MJPEG encode is now accelerated for processors above. (MJPEG decode acceleration was available in prior releases.)
GPU hang reporting/recovery: This feature reports GPU hangs occurring during SDK operations and allows applications to establish their own GPU hang recovery procedure.
New Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications features
- OpenCL™ 2.0 API. This implements the Khronos OpenCL™ 2 specification, including shared virtual memory, device-side kernel enqueues, and workgroup functions.
- This release also contains tool and IDE improvements. For more information, see the product site and this forum.
2017 Professional Edition New Features
The Professional Edition delivers an additional 25% performance boost for its award-winning broadcast-quality HEVC GPU-accelerated encoder plugin1.
New Intel® VTune™ Amplifier features
Intel® VTune™ Amplifier delivers simplified graphics processor hotspot analysis and an extended set of counters. It also detects OpenCL™ 2.0 shared virtual memory usage types.
New GPU hotspots analysis type provides a quick starting point to analyze execution of OpenCL™ kernels and Intel Media SDK tasks on the GPU, and correlate with CPU usage on the same timeline.
GPU architecture diagram added to the timeline pane to facilitate interpretation of OpenCL™ application analysis data and easily match the GPU hardware metrics with the corresponding architecture blocks.
Some articles on using VTune™ Amplifier for OpenCL™ and Intel® Media SDK application analysis:
- Getting started with OpenCL* Performance Analysis on Intel® HD Graphics
- Using Intel® VTune™ Amplifier to Optimize Media and Video Applications
The above notes are just the top level features and enhancements in Media Server Studio 2017.
- Access the Media Server Studio site for more details and support.
- The Media Server Studio 2017 version works with 5th and 6th generation Intel Xeon and Intel Core processors (codename Skylake and Broadwell). If you are using older generations (i.e. 4th generation - codename Haswell), use the 2016 edition until you upgrade to the newer processors for greater performance and efficiency.
Intel Visual Cloud Computing
OpenCL and the OpenCL logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. used by permission by Khronos.