Intel’s New VR Destination Features Training, Tools and Inspiration for Developers to Create Emotionally Evocative Out-of-World Experiences
Now game makers, video producers and VR developers can access the resources they need to create more emotionally evocative virtual reality experiences in one easy stop. The Intel® Software Developer Zone for VR launched Aug. 1 in conjunction with this year’s SIGGRAPH Conference in Los Angeles.
SIGGRAPH attendees were treated to a preview of the vast array of resources available to VR zone visitors, including:
Demos from Intel® Software Innovators: At SIGGRAPH, Intel showcased rotating demos from three software innovators who also chatted live on Facebook at the event.
* Aclectic Systems, a data analytics scenario featuring a visual effects shot run on an Intel® server using Intel® Xeon Phi™ CPUs over an Omni-Path interconnect to visually simulate high quality 3D smoke. Watch how Intel® technology gives 3D visual effects more power.
*Stellar, a portable, highly multithreaded application enables the design and mapping of complex lighting setups in 3D, controlling hundreds of thousands of lights with precision. See how Stellar created 3-D light-based animations.
* Well Told Entertainment, the Foglands VR game in development, takes place in a fantasy world where players fight their way past monsters, illusions, and ruthless vandals to get back home, or die trying. The game features new experimental locomotion, shaders and physics specifically designed for this style of VR game play. Check it out in this video.
Use cases: One real-world example was the appearance of Intel® True VR at this year’s Players* Championship, where golf fans experienced unprecedented access to action on the 17th hole. Thanks to a partnership between the PGA and Intel, viewers saw live 360o video captured by Intel True VR for all four days of the tournament. Other use cases include:
* Intel VR at the Olympics, bringing leading-edge VR technology to enhance the viewing experience.
* Entrepreneurs are leveraging the immersive capabilities of VR technology for retail, real estate, education and more.
Trainings and tutorials: From beginner primers to advanced developer tips and tricks, the Zone visitors can build knowledge and skills with topics such as:
* VR Streaming 101 at Intel Streamers Bootcamp, teaching the basics.
* Getting a Microsoft Surface Book* to work with Steam VR
*The YouTube VR Channel, to browse Intel’s collection of videos about virtual reality and games.
*Upcoming webinars and events
VR-specialized Intel® technologies: Learn how Internet cafes in China are getting VR-ready PCs from Intel. And, discover how single- and multiplayer VR games take advantage of Intel® Core™ i7 processors for advanced particle effects, real-time global illumination, physics-based objects and rendering, and various celestial effects. Check out what other VR developers are working on in this video featuring the latest technology in VR with Arizona Sunshine and this one featuring Pixar’s new visual effect tool Renderman.
Interested in learning more about the VR developer zone? Watch this video from SIGGRAPH as program manager CV Vick explains an overview of the features. Visit Intel Software Developer Zone for VR today to get started!