Artificial Intelligence (AI) continues to show up in our everyday lives, but its presence is gentle and welcome, largely due to the advancements in Edge AI. Many AI use cases are best suited for the edge where processing happens at or close to the data source, lowering costs, reducing application or service latency, improving reliability and increasing data privacy.
Whether we realize it or not, Edge AI technologies—seen and unseen—provide huge benefits in a world that’s digitally connected, 24x7. This rapid advancement of Edge AI is not because of one or two “killer apps”—new solutions and usages continue to emerge all the time.
Intel has built a broad portfolio of hardware and software offerings to seamlessly enable the continuum of AI workloads from the edge to the cloud, so developers can choose the best system ingredients for their specific AI solutions. The use cases below deliver some of the biggest benefits of Edge AI in our everyday lives, with many deployed using Intel’s technologies and strong developer ecosystem. Following the list, get the software tools needed to help develop solutions that deliver these and other huge benefits.
- Intelligent content and ad services directly deliver tailored news and information to me about current events, new products and services, and even fashion trends that interest me. Theses smart services even help me find the perfect gifts at the perfect prices, along with comparison options.
- Secured banking systems can auto-detect abnormal spending, transactions triggered through various payment platforms locally or in other countries, and other unusual activities in my account—notifying me immediately and asking me to confirm the transaction. I love it when my credit card provider alerts me because I just made a big purchase, enveloping me with a sense of financial protection.
- AI-backed delivery logistics systems provide me tracking information and ensure that packages arrive at the right place, on time, and with full traceability throughout that journey.
- Home security systems “see” packages and persons arriving on my doorstep and alert me if there is unusual activity.
- Recommendation engines provide travel options for visiting family or going on vacation—from planes, trains and automobiles, to hotels, camping and RVs, to hiking, kayak tours, food festivals, yoga retreats, wine tastings and more.
- AI-fueled weather technologies accurately tell me where it’s a flip-flops kind of day, and predicts where I will need to break out my raincoat or snow gear.
- Traffic control systems, with coordinated signal lights for traffic-flow efficiency, help me to navigate alternate routes when traffic piles up, while predicting how much time it will take to get me where I need to be.
- Airport security systems are starting to get faster and smarter with face detection. This was recently tested in the world's busiest airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, where travelers moved much more quickly through the streamlined security.
- AI-enhanced entertainment, with smart-features like in-context player information, enrich and bring us closer to the experience—from movies to football.
- Auto-generated communications trigger digital birthday and holiday greetings, and image rendering and aggregator tools automagically create photo and video albums to help us capture our experiences and stay connected with loved ones.
Edge AI technologies make all this possible. As we continue to build ever-stronger data privacy policies and security technologies, it’s important to focus on how edge AI contributes to our quality of life. Of course, Intel’s technology building blocks play a key role—and in my world, software is at the heart of it. I’ve listed below some of the software tools, frameworks and libraries that help developers to build applications to bring the benefits of edge AI into our lives. They are free downloads – so enjoy!
Shape the future of AI from edge to cloud
Join a community of developers working to bring AI to life at Intel® AI Academy, and get the software tools (with free downloads) and resources to help build those applications faster and easier.
Systems & IoT development
Boost performance, power efficiency, and reliability for system and IoT applications; speed-up and consolidate workloads; move from prototype to production quickly with an all-in-one foundational - tool suite, Intel® System Studio. It includes a compiler, performance libraries, analyzer and debugger tools, along with advanced cloud connectors and provides access to 400+ sensors.
Computer vision and deep learning inference
Algorithm development across multiple types of Intel® platforms with the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit. It includes a deep learning deployment toolkit with a model optimizer and inference engine, more than 30 pre-trained models (and supports 100+ public and custom models), computer vision algorithms, and samples. It also includes traditional computer vision functions like OpenCV*, OpenVX*, media encode/decode, and more.
Deep Learning Training
Use your preferred deep learning framework on any number of hardware architectures, for both training and inference with the open source C++ library and runtime/compiler suite, nGraph Library.
Whether you prefer Chainer*, MXNet*, BigDL*, Theano*, Caffe*, TensorFlow*, or neon™, get faster performance and critical hardware-enabled capabilities with these Intel-optimized frameworks.
Charlotte Dryden leads Intel’s visual computing developer solutions team, which defines and develops software products and tools that enable visual computing solutions. Charlotte has 20 years of technical and international business experience in the mobile communications, semiconductor and wireless industries, with a focus on designing software solutions to differentiate hardware. Find Charlotte on LinkedIn*, and follow her team’s efforts @Inteldevtools.