2 in 1 Ultrabook features

2 in 1 Ultrabook features

I noticed that in the Criteria of Winning Submission section of the contest rules, that 50% of the judging goes to use of 2 in 1 Ultrabook features. Does this make it virtual impossible to win the contest if you don't have a game that uses 2 in 1 Ultrabook features?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for having not checked in on this thread sooner.

While this is a strong weighting, it does not NOT make it impossible.  Some games naturally play well with touch via mouse emulation.  If you look at last years winners, I would classify them as a mix of games that were fun an innovative as a common theme - some used 2 in 1 better/more than others.  I think if more developers start specifically thinking about a UI around touch (primarily) or sensors, then yes, it will get more competitive with respect to the weighting of the scoring, but realistically, people making fun games are submitting and not enough of them really do something with 2 in 1 enough to make it impossible for games without these features to win.  Also note, that there is an additional prize category this year for best Linux submission with full controller support.

Here's how I look at the contest - it's for all student and indie developers to have exciting and innovative works in progress.  The best kinds of submissions per the 2 in 1 weighting are either (A) developers who have a great mobile game and are looking for a quick and easy path to PC via engine of their choice or (B) developers with an interesting PC game concept but who are trying to think about what kind of UI they'll need to have for a quick and easy path to mobile via engine of their choice. 

Cheers!

Mitch

Thanks a lot for answering my question, I think that clears things up.

Is there a list of features that are available on the target platform?

The list in the rules is rather light. I was looking for something that would define the full set available to us.

Christopher C,

The easiest thing to design for is a touch UI.  If you are able to detect the state change from clamshell mode to tablet mode, that makes for a great experience.  The guys at THREAKS did some really nice 2 in 1 patching for Beat Buddy recently:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/beatbuddy-expands

And here's an article on how to detect the state:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/detecting-slateclamshell-mode-...

Some systems have accelerometers, compass, even NFC, but they don't seem to be widely adopted, so I'd primarily think about touch interface and controls.  I hope that helps.

~Mitch

Cheers Mitch,  I've got touch UI implemented, so I was just wondering what else to add.

Cheers for the links too!

I have a worry the game i am making is a 2D fighting game that uses keyboard and gamepad controllers will that have a big effect on it when being judged ?. or should i not bother submitting. thanks for your time.

Quote:

Ryhan S. wrote:

I have a worry the game i am making is a 2D fighting game that uses keyboard and gamepad controllers will that have a big effect on it when being judged ?. or should i not bother submitting. thanks for your time.

I would recommend you still submit.  Some of the winners last year didn't have touch/2in1 functionality, but they were cool and innovative and that was recognized in the judging.

~Mitch

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today