Can already released game on Steam be submitted?

Can already released game on Steam be submitted?

Hi there,

I have a game that was just released on Steam (5/1), and I'm wondering if this game is eligible for submission. 

Regarding the contest rule 3-1 below, what is not yet on sale on March 2 is considered a demo. Does that mean my game is considered demo, even it is released after then? 

1. Game Demo: A game demo can range from a playable proof of concept all the way to a completed consumer ready level of a game. For contest eligibility, the game must not yet be for sale at the time of the contest start (March 2, 2015, 12:01am Pacific Time).

Also, aside from the launched game, if I create a "demo" - the trial version - , of the game, would that be eligible for the contest?

Thanks!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If your game was not yet for sale at the START of the contest submission period it is eligible for submission.  So since your game went on sale May 1, it would be eligible.  The best thing to do is create a DRM-free demo and submit that.  A whole bunch of Steam keys would get messy as we've got a lot of different screeners and judges and I'd rather have the machines all set up without everyone needing to log into their Steam accounts to authenticate games. 

Looking forward to your submission!

~Mitch

Hi! If I may, I would like ask too. If our game was released on 27th February this year, we are not eligible for submission, right?

Thank you very much,

Quote:

Filip K. wrote:

Hi! If I may, I would like ask too. If our game was released on 27th February this year, we are not eligible for submission, right?

Thank you very much,

Unfortunately that is correct, games released prior to the start of the contest (March 2, 2015) are not eligible to submit.

~Mitch

Hello there,

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask one more question. 

So, since we already released this game, shouldn't I make a demo or trial version? I mean, if Intel is planning to use the game to publicize their product, won't that mean they would make the game available for public? I guess there is some rule regarding this, but I have not found it yet. 

Thanks!

Quote:

Jake K. wrote:

Hello there,

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask one more question. 

So, since we already released this game, shouldn't I make a demo or trial version? I mean, if Intel is planning to use the game to publicize their product, won't that mean they would make the game available for public? I guess there is some rule regarding this, but I have not found it yet. 

Thanks!

The best recommendation I can suggest is to submit a DRM free demo version of your game for the competition.  Mostly this competition is about to helping game developers to succeed - much of that for many is a path to publication which is why we're partnered with Valve.  Having game demos for corporate marketing to use is far less important for Level Up.

~Mitch

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today