Unity 5 prebaked realtime GI not working on Surface Pro 3

Unity 5 prebaked realtime GI not working on Surface Pro 3

Hey there so my build runs perfectly on my windows 8 desktop and laptop machines, but on my test Surface Pro 3 the GI turns off. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Thanks for the help.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I'll see if one of our engineers can take a look at this question.

~Mitch

Thanks Mitch.

So after looking into drivers, it appears the up-to-date Surface drivers are the problem.

I force installed the latest Intel HD drivers (10.18.14.4170) and the GI works. So my question is: Is there any chance the reviewing staff will be able to review games that require these unsupported (officially) drivers?

Seems unlikely, but worth asking. Thanks again for your help!

We'll make sure to have the latest drivers on the machines.  And we'll get a graphics driver bug sighting filed.  Mike Coppock might reach out to you for any relevent details.

~Mitch

Hi Andy,

I will get this looked at by our driver development team. I need to file an internal ticket for the issue, in order to do that I need more information from you. Can you fill out this template for me? Thanks

System Setup Information:
-----------------------------------------

System Used: (Manufacturer/Model)
CPU SKU: (i3, i5, Pentium, Celeron, etc.)
GPU SKU: (HD4400, HD5100, etc.)
Processor Line: (Y-Series, U-Series, etc.)
System BIOS Version:
CMOS settings:
Graphics Driver Version:
GOP/VBIOS Version:
Operating System:
OS Version:
API:
Occurs on non-Intel GPUs?:

Steps to Reproduce:
-------------------------------

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Additional Information:

Quote:

Michael Coppock (Intel) wrote:

Hi Andy,

I will get this looked at by our driver development team. I need to file an internal ticket for the issue, in order to do that I need more information from you. Can you fill out this template for me? Thanks

System Setup Information:
-----------------------------------------

System Used: Surface Pro 3
CPU SKU: i5-4300U 
GPU SKU: HD (whatever the Surface Pro 3 uses.)
Processor Line: (Y-Series, U-Series, etc.)
System BIOS Version:
CMOS settings:
Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.10.3496
GOP/VBIOS Version:
Operating System:  Windows 8.1
OS Version: 
API:
Occurs on non-Intel GPUs?: No.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open a game which makes use of Unity 5's new pre-calculated realtime GI.
2. The game will open, but the GI (bounced lighting simulation) will not render, and the game will be very dark.  

Expected Results:
The GI lighting should work.

Actual Results:
It does not.

Additional Information:
If you download and manually force the driver update by using "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick..", the latest Intel HD drivers (10.18.14.4170) solve the issue. 

Quote:

Mitchell Lum (Intel) wrote:

We'll make sure to have the latest drivers on the machines.  And we'll get a graphics driver bug sighting filed.  Mike Coppock might reach out to you for any relevent details.

~Mitch

Hey Mitchell, just to be sure, you mean you will be forcing the update to (10.18.14.4170) manually on the machines? I'm a little weary of this actually happening because even after I installed the latest driver, upon looking for updates, windows re-installed the old officially supported driver and the lighting was broken again. 

I want to make sure my game is playable and if something goes wrong with the driver, this bug causes my game to be too dark to be playable. If you've got savvy people handling all the manual driver updating for these review devices; I should be fine. But otherwise, I'm wondering if I should be adding some light to my game so that it's at least playable on the bugged drivers. Thanks for your input.

It used to be that I downloaded an installed all the demos on the test machines myself - but now we've got an internal lab to help with that.  If they see an issue, they'll often try to remediate the issue.  A fall back path for the lighting so it can be playable on a buggy driver would be a good idea - obviously not as great as the global illumination you're hoping for, but at least a good way to ensure your game gets through the screening.

~Mitch

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today